Pc problems - games are choppy and windows 7 acting strangely

6r4h4m

Ok so originally my pc had an Amd 7770, Amd phenom ii x6, and the rest of the parts were parts from HP that I don't know the names of. On that system I was running games like skyrim at 30 fps on medium so after a while I decided to upgrade... I now have an asus mobo, a sapphire amd 7770 1 gb, an amd 8350 8 core, the hp ram from before, a 2 tb drive from WD, a 625 watt psu, and a cooler master hypo evo to cool the cpu, after I upgraded I had to reinstall windows so I installed on top of the previous windows installation to keep my old files, installed all the drivers etc. Then I wen't to try out some games, the first was Thief , I started the game and ran the benchmark. I got 45 fps on ultra. Sadly this did not last as I ran it a second time and got 15 fps. this happens with all of my games, Sometimes this happens and sometimes they're just choppy to begin with, the games I usually play are , Skyrim, bf4, crysis 3, and bm arkham origins... I know these are all very demanding games but the same thing happens with octodad and goat simulator and it's not the graphic setting being to high because if I set it to low I get the same results. I've tried everything from checking cpu/gpu temps and changing fan speeds to reinstalling drivers, nothing works. Another thing to note is that on windows start up Aero effects are acting strangely, it's fine at first then randomly stops, I've tried disabling it but it does nothing and game menus are choppy too as in when it says "Nvidia" it's choppy. Please help, Should I reinstall windows without installing on top of the previous windows or change some setting in the bios or what?

A fresh load of Windows is always recommended when building a new PC (or majority new parts), so I'd suggest that being your first step. Backup all your data of course.

As for the issues, I'd suggest taking out all your RAM modules bar one and test. Do the same for the rest of them. Let us know how it goes!

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550

You can't really over-stall on win7 you can do that for win98se and just barely for XP. My suggestion is to backup all your data from the win hdd on another hdd then format and reinstall. Note that your win7 retail version but an OEM will probably not let you use your cdkey because of the hardware changes. From what I heard from many people all you need to do is use the call option when the cdkey fails to get a new cdkey. If someone does ask what happen just say massive hardware failure to a spilled drink on casing or power surge, etc.

Ok so originally my pc had an Amd 7770, Amd phenom ii x6, and the rest of the parts were parts from HP that I don't know the names of. On that system I was running games like skyrim at 30 fps on medium so after a while I decided to upgrade... I now have an asus mobo, a sapphire amd 7770 1 gb, an amd 8350 8 core, the hp ram from before, a 2 tb drive from WD, a 625 watt psu, and a cooler master hypo evo to cool the cpu, after I upgraded I had to reinstall windows so I installed on top of the previous windows installation to keep my old files, installed all the drivers etc. Then I wen't to try out some games, the first was Thief , I started the game and ran the benchmark. I got 45 fps on ultra. Sadly this did not last as I ran it a second time and got 15 fps. this happens with all of my games, Sometimes this happens and sometimes they're just choppy to begin with, the games I usually play are , Skyrim, bf4, crysis 3, and bm arkham origins... I know these are all very demanding games but the same thing happens with octodad and goat simulator and it's not the graphic setting being to high because if I set it to low I get the same results. I've tried everything from checking cpu/gpu temps and changing fan speeds to reinstalling drivers, nothing works. Another thing to note is that on windows start up Aero effects are acting strangely, it's fine at first then randomly stops, I've tried disabling it but it does nothing and game menus are choppy too as in when it says "Nvidia" it's choppy. Please help, Should I reinstall windows without installing on top of the previous windows or change some setting in the bios or what?

A fresh load of Windows is always recommended when building a new PC (or majority new parts), so I'd suggest that being your first step. Backup all your data of course.

As for the issues, I'd suggest taking out all your RAM modules bar one and test. Do the same for the rest of them. Let us know how it goes!

do a fresh reload of windows 8.1 buddy

Stuff n Things

Thanks for replying, I'm going to get windows 8.1 and see if that works. I'll see about the ram as well, it might be that since it's from HP it has compatibiity issues but the ram is like 5 years old so I wouldn't be surprised if they're dead.