Pc powers off suddenly and i think its my PSU

Minorika
Go to solution Solved by PDifolco,
8 minutes ago, Minorika said:

its not overheating since my system runs pretty cool during demanding tasks.

my psu is about 3-4 years old

and i forgot to mention that these Issues started appearing after i upgraded my gpu from a vega 64 to the rx 6900xt

Did you use 2 separate PCie cables to power your GPU ? Else GPU may trip with only 1 power source at max 150W, or a bit more, +75W for the Pcie slot, when it needs 350W 

Good Morning!

Specs:

R7 5800X

asus RX6900XT top

asus x570 strix-e wifi

Ripjaws V 2x16GB @3600mhz

samsung 960 evo 1TB and crucial P5 2TB m.2 ssd,s

Western Digital Blue 3TB and 6TB

Corsair RMi 850

My PC has been completely  shutting off while playing demanding games.

The only way to start my PC back up again is to turn off the psu and remove and replug its cable.

I got suspicious and tried a furmark stresstest , which shut my computer off the second i clicked on stresstest.

could it be that my PSU is not enough anymore?

EDIT: these issues started appearing after i upgraded my gpu from a vega 64 to an rx6900 xt

850w is definitely enough, it may just be faulty. what are the cpu/gpu temps? how old is the psu? if your temps are all fine, i would contact corsair for an rma.

It's either overheating or wattage spikes from the GPU, but I have a RM850x PSU, a 5900x and a 3080, so around same power consumption if not more, and never had any shutdown...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

9 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

850w is definitely enough, it may just be faulty. what are the cpu/gpu temps? how old is the psu? if your temps are all fine, i would contact corsair for an rma.

5 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

It's either overheating or wattage spikes from the GPU, but I have a RM850x PSU, a 5900x and a 3080, so around same power consumption if not more, and never had any shutdown...

and i forgot to mention that these Issues started appearing after i upgraded my gpu from a vega 64 to the rx 6900xt

1 minute ago, Minorika said:

it wouldn't hurt to try and re-seat all of the psu cables, maybe one is making poor contact? if the psu is the problem, the vega 64 required less power, maybe the 6900xt is enough to stress the issue.

8 minutes ago, Minorika said:

Did you use 2 separate PCie cables to power your GPU ? Else GPU may trip with only 1 power source at max 150W, or a bit more, +75W for the Pcie slot, when it needs 350W 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

it,s currently plugged in with a single cable that splits into 2x6+2.

i'm gonna try and use 2 cables and see if that solves it.

It's probably the cabling as @PDifolco suggested.

If not, did you do a complete video card driver uninstall before installing the new card?

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

55 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Do you use iCUE for PSU monitoring?

yes

33 minutes ago, MonkeyBomb said:

It's probably the cabling as @PDifolco suggested.

If not, did you do a complete video card driver uninstall before installing the new card?

It was the cabling.

i didn't get any more shutdowns after connecting the gpu with 2 separate  cables

7 minutes ago, Minorika said:

yes

It was the cabling.

i didn't get any more shutdowns after connecting the gpu with 2 separate  cables

That's because the PSU is set as multi rail 12v and a single cable triggers the OCP on the 12v rail the GPU is connected to. With 2 cables the GPU is connected to 2 seperate 12v rails. In iCUE you can set the PSU to single rail 12v that prevents the PSU to shut down with a single cable. But 2 seperate cables is a better solution.