Which would you use

Hey guys.

With the string of video card issue I was having I bought a few psu's, when that didn't work I replaced my motherboard.

Just wondering what you guys would use, it seems gone are the days of reliable psu's so it makes it hard to pick.

I have:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mark III 1200w Platinum (which was the original PSU) and a eVGA Supernova G2 1000w.

Which would you use, I've read Johnny Guru and they both have near the same score..

Thanks.

must be the running of 4x gpu's thats causing the issues.. no other reason for such powerful PSU's :P and, EVGA maybe, i woudnt go for any of them, i would go for Corsair or seasonic.

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

For a 780 Ti, I'd stop grabbing overkill psus and get something like a rm550 or seasonic 550 G.

If you're having video card issues, fix your video card and not your psu or motherboard.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Well I had a few people tell me it was a PSU causing 2 GTX780ti cards to buzz.

1 ASUS and 1 Galaxy HOF, same noise.

The 2 Gigabyte cards prior, 1 had the bad vram bug (artifacts during 3D Mark 11 underclocking vram fixes it) it didn't buzz though, and the second was a serious manufacturing fault where the metal fan shroud was pushed hard up against the fans,

so that one I never got to even take home and the store ran out of stock.

Returned the ASUS (Posted the problem here 112c VRMs Asus confirmed the issue) got the Galaxy, currently RMAing the Galaxy.

The Silencer Mark III was a prize I won from Guru3D, previously I was running a 5 yo Corsair 850TX non modular.

I bought the eVGA on recommendations due to the problem.

Like I said I replaced the motherboard, its now a Maximus V Extreme.

Picked it up for a very good price, and I find it overclocks and generally works better than the Asrock Z77 Extreme 4.

So I have a choice of 2 PSU's as the wife won't let me spend any money, both of which are rated very highly on Johnny Guru.

I didn't go Corsair because of the recent RM model issues, choices here in AU are limited to a degree.

Well I had a few people tell me it was a PSU causing 2 GTX780ti cards to buzz.

1 ASUS and 1 Galaxy HOF, same noise.

The psu shouldn't be making your graphics cards buzz.

It could be your psu/graphics card vibrating or coil whine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah, hence why I changed PSU's, but there is the "normal" whine, but on top a constant electrical buzzing noise, only under load, but not in Furmark.

Vysnc on or off doesn't matter, whine goes buzz is still there..

I asked for weeks on so many forums and no one knew what was going on, I even took my PC to another house to make sure there was no RF in my house.

I've changed everything in my PC other than the CPU and RAM, now waiting for the card to come back.

There was nothing visibly wrong with any of the removed components though.

Even took off the Kraken X60 just to rule out the electric pump causing the noise.

I had 2 HD 7750's in my machine for a test, both making the similar buzz, but I tried them in 2 other lower powered computers and they did the same too.

Seriously its the first time in my 15 years of dealing with computers that I've come across this and made me question everything I know.

That sounds like it could be vibration of graphics card from the fan.

Is the sound still there when you lower the fan speed?

I stopped the fan completely for a few seconds, on both Asus and Galaxy card, buzz was there.

Its and electrical buzz, like what you hear from a transformer.

Here's the Buzz from the ASUS card:

It gets people confused, so you can see my frustrations.

Anything you can think of along the way of fans and disconnecting stuff etc, I've done.

Even running the machine outside the case with a mouse and 1 HD connected.

Can't say I've tried the card in the new Maximus board because the card has been in RMA for 2 weeks and still yet to be looked at. (Rather pee'd)

I've never heard or seen anything like it.

My previous video card setup was dead silent (2x Asus GTX670 OC in Sli)

It wasn't until I stuck in my first GTX780ti is when I started getting problems.

So I've basically replaced nearly everything in my PC including the case (CPU and Ram still the same, but I did try other ram)

Just heard from the store about the RMA, they can replicate a "very low buzzing" but its enough to verify I'm not going crazy..lol.

Just have to get the OK from Galaxy about the swap due to the coil whine argument some manufactures have.

But back to the original question, should I stick with the eVGA thats plugged in or go back to the Silencer Mark III.

Don't want anymore issues with the PC..lol

But back to the original question, should I stick with the eVGA thats plugged in or go back to the Silencer Mark III.

Don't want anymore issues with the PC..lol

I don't think it should make a difference.

Btw, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

I don't think it should make a difference.

Well I got the brand new card back from RMA, new revision and new BIOS.

And I hate to say it, the thing buzzes, its the exact same sound as the last 2 cards. (1 ASUS & 1 Galaxy HOF)

So I've giving up trying to work it out, Bought some gaming headphones

Only thing I haven't changed is the CPU, there is nothing left of the old computer,

that includes the monitor, Case and RAM. (Managed to get the Maximus V into the H440)

This is going down in my history books as the strangest thing I've seen in computing.

:mellow:

Well I got the brand new card back from RMA, new revision and new BIOS.

And I hate to say it, the thing buzzes, its the exact same sound as the last 2 cards. (1 ASUS & 1 Galaxy HOF)

So I've giving up trying to work it out, Bought some gaming headphones

Only thing I haven't changed is the CPU, there is nothing left of the old computer,

that includes the monitor, Case and RAM. (Managed to get the Maximus V into the H440)

This is going down in my history books as the strangest thing I've seen in computing.

:mellow:

Because a card without coil whine is rare, very rare. I've had 10 nvidia cards last 2-3 years all buzzed except one. The only things you can do about this is literally nothing except trying to isolate this or putting a 2nd card in sli so the loads back off to 50/50% and the whine noise shouldn't be there.

Cards with a low power consumption like 660's etc don't tend to whine like 780's because the higher the load is the noisier it gets. What you could do is ask the manufacturer to fix this or do it by yourself, drill a hole in the choke and glue them