M.2 + Z590-A Pro Q

wb0827

Hi.

So like a year ago or so I got a prebuilt PC because I had some student discount stuff leftover from University before then and was pretty busy yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, the mobo was a Z590-A Pro + has a Samsung m.2 980 and recently I've been thinking about popping another NVME in because..well, shit I'm starting to run out of space >_> The mobo has 3x m.2 slots, one under CPU and 2 from the chipset. I had a looksie and realized that the m.2 slot with a (manufacturers, i guess?) heatsink is under the CPU and...unused. As far as I can tell, there's room and no other part of the build is obstructing, but regardless the 980 is underneath the GPU.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z590-A-PRO/Specification

you should be able to see the slots via the link. anyway my Q is this. Assuming nothing is somehow blocking it, should I be ok to move the 980 from the bottom slot to the CPU linked one with the heatsink and if I'm getting a second drive that'll go on one of the chipset m.2 slots, it'll run slower than the CPU m.2 slot so would I be fine with it being like a 970 EVO or something or would the only disparity be transfer/read+write speeds?

Ty

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, you should be fine. 
Honestly, the speed of the drives and interfaces is fast enough that even the chipset slots are fine

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

On 8/29/2022 at 7:05 PM, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah, you should be fine. 
Honestly, the speed of the drives and interfaces is fast enough that even the chipset slots are fine

thank you!