Really High Power Draw of Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470

Viktor277

In games it can pull as much as 192w at peak and i need to crank the fans up to 70% just to keep it under 75c. I bought this gpu second hand and only the performance bios works, the quiet bios is corrupt, just a bunch of squares when i try to boot from it. Had bunch of other models from rx 470 and not one of them gone above 120w. This card was 99% used for mining obviously, could it be that the performance bios was somehow tinkered with so the power limit was increased? How do i get the temps down safely, as it is right now its set to factory 1260mhz but the power draw is insane and my pc sounds like a jet engine, Repasted and cleaned as well. This is all with side panel off as well, temps easily get over 80c even when fans are on 75% with the side panel on (Masterbox k501 rgb 2x120mm at front intake).

First of all check what voltage the card is drawing under max load, if it is higher than stock then surely the bios is modified. To revert it back just flash a stock bios onto the quiet bios, leave the performance bios alone just to make sure you don't brick the card if something goes wrong in the flashing process.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:35 AM, 4b33r said:

First of all check what voltage the card is drawing under max load, if it is higher than stock then surely the bios is modified. To revert it back just flash a stock bios onto the quiet bios, leave the performance bios alone just to make sure you don't brick the card if something goes wrong in the flashing process.

I couldnt find the quiet bios anywhere on the techpowerup. I did not pay attention to the voltages tho. Will check.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:35 AM, 4b33r said:

Voltages are up to 1.131V. In hardware info its showing the gpu core power as 192w and gpu chip power as 130w. Is radeon software reporting chip or core power consumption? Either way voltages seem to be fine

On 9/1/2022 at 12:09 AM, Viktor277 said:

I couldnt find the quiet bios anywhere on the techpowerup. I did not pay attention to the voltages tho. Will check.

On 9/1/2022 at 7:17 PM, Viktor277 said:

Voltages are up to 1.131V. In hardware info its showing the gpu core power as 192w and gpu chip power as 130w. Is radeon software reporting chip or core power consumption? Either way voltages seem to be fine

Try flashing the stock bios on techpowerup onto the quiet bios, since that bios is dead here is how to do that 

This should bring everything back to stock specs

Make sure to NOT FLASH ONTO THE PERFORMANCE BIOS by accident

On 9/2/2022 at 10:24 AM, 4b33r said:

Try flashing the stock bios on techpowerup onto the quiet bios, since that bios is dead here is how to do that 

This should bring everything back to stock specs

Make sure to NOT FLASH ONTO THE PERFORMANCE BIOS by accident

Ok so, turns out one of my fans was broken and only one was spinning..

I thought i checked them but idk, The broken fan straight up came out of its housing when i was replacing the fans, i replaced both. Temps are below 65c now, with side panels on, way quieter than before..