Getting 5.1 Audio from laptop

VDY

Hi all,

I currently have a Asus X507UF notebook, connected to a OnePlus Y1S TV via HDMI and the TV is then eventually connected to my Sony HT S40R Home Theatre via HDMI ARC.

Now the thing is TV and HT both support dolby audio and work in 5.1 Audio, but when TV is connected to laptop via HDMI, the sound is only stereo, and I have done everything from downloading dolby audio in laptop, switching the settings in CRU and increasing display channels and everything my brain could comprehend has been done and tried, No 5.1 audio from laptop to HT

I already have an laptop upgrade long due, and will buy one soon, my question is how do I get 5.1 channel audio from my laptop to TV and from TV to HT.

Shall I look for a laptop with Dolby Audio from factory or a higher HDMI interface, (TV supports HDMI 2.1) current laptop has HDMI 1.4 and laptop I am planning to buy has HDMI 2.0b

I want to connect my laptop to TV and play games on HT with 5.1 surrround sound.

laptop I am planning to buy is ASUS TUF Gaming A15 with Ryzen 9 and RTX 3060.

I really wish surround sound support between PC to HT system are easier because nowadays both ends are slowly diverging. I understand soundbars are becoming the new normal but with very limited connectivity it would leave out to narrow solutions.

First thing you need to try is getting your TV to recognise LPCM 5.1 support on your laptop as your TV is eARC supported. Using CRU is the right direction, try to add 5.1 speaker setup, and for audio format add LPCM 5.1.

If you got that working, on your TV check if it can output Dolby Digital on your eARC so that your soundbar would recognise. Not sure if TV can convert PCM to Dolby Digital, but if it doesn't work you would need a soundbar with LPCM 5.1 support, or find a modded nvidia driver that support Dolby Digital Live output via HDMI which again didn't try it myself. 

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

You need to go into the audio settings on the pc and change it to 5.1 it's usually initially set to stereo.

What's your operating system?