Should I just upgrade to 11 already?

battlepants220

My latest build is Win 11 ready but I've been holding off cuz I have a "Don't fix what ain't broken" mindset about OS's buuuuuuuuuuuuuut I know they started charging for 10 after it was originally released for free aaaaaaaaaaaand Ive got a 12gen intel so I keep hearing that 11 is gonna handle the p cores and e cores better. Am I stupid? Should I just dewit like Anakin cutting off Dooku's head or Nike? Am I worried about nothing? lol

I have W11 at home and W10 at work. I'm no power user, but I don't really notice anything wrong with 11, so I went that route with my home build. I'm on Ryzen 5600x, so I can't speak to how Intel will handle it, but I can't imagine it would be bad

There is very little real world difference in most cases between the two regarding the P/E core situation. That being said, 11 is perfectly fine. You can gamble upgrading or better yet, wipe and clean install.

18 minutes ago, battlepants220 said:

I know they started charging for 10 after it was originally released for free

What are you talking about for that? Windows 10 remained a free upgrade throughout its lifespan, you can still use Windows 7/8 activation keys that will work to activate Windows 10 and 11. There were a couple hoops you needed to just through after about 2 years after the initial release (when they said free upgrades would stop initially, they haven't said anything about that with Windows 11) since at that point it was "unofficial," but it still worked. 

I've got a couple friends running Windows 10 and 11 on 12th gen systems (12600K and 12700K respectively), none of which had any issues with either of them. The friend with the 12600K did eventually upgrade to Windows 11 as a way of troubleshooting something else (needed to do a clean install anyway, might as well give Windows 11 a shot), but didn't notice any improvement going for it. Yeah Windows 11 is theoretically better for heterogeneous architectures, but in reality there's barely a difference between the two. 

I would more judge it on what you think of the UI. If you really like the new UI of Windows 11 and can deal with the whole Microsoft account BS (or find a way to bypass it), then yeah upgrade. If you're more like me and think the UI is a straight downgrade overall over Windows 10, stick to Windows 10. If you've already got one installed, I don't think there's enough of a reason to go through and swap to the other though, since the in place upgrades can break stuff and a clean install can be a bit of a hassle, all for what is practically the same OS with a different scheduler and a different coat of paint. 

20 hours ago, mike_seps said:

I have W11 at home and W10 at work. I'm no power user, but I don't really notice anything wrong with 11, so I went that route with my home build. I'm on Ryzen 5600x, so I can't speak to how Intel will handle it, but I can't imagine it would be bad

Runs fine on my Laptop 🙂 I have a Dell Latitude 3520. 11th Gen i5 with 16gb ram.  How well does it run on AMD?  I've have the same CPU. Wanted to know if I should upgrade. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

Runs fine on my Laptop 🙂 I have a Dell Latitude 3520. 11th Gen i5 with 16gb ram.  How well does it run on AMD?  I've have the same CPU. Wanted to know if I should upgrade. 

Runs great for me. I haven't run into any issues. Photoshop was a bit weird the first day I tried to launch it, but I think that was more on Adobe's side than anything.

In Sept or Oct, it is expected that Microsoft releases a new version of Windows 11. It doesn't bring anything substantial, beside a series of quality of life improvements, polish and bug fixes. All in all, it really polishes the OS experience.

Being so close, I would just wait for it. The OS would feel more consistent than right now, and in addition, would bring a feature set (those Quality of Life improvements) which would distinguish itself better from Win 10 beside the updated look it has.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In Sept or Oct, it is expected that Microsoft releases a new version of Windows 11. It doesn't bring anything substantial, beside a series of quality of life improvements, polish and bug fixes. All in all, it really polishes the OS experience.

Being so close, I would just wait for it. The OS would feel more consistent than right now, and in addition, would bring a feature set (those Quality of Life improvements) which would distinguish itself better from Win 10 beside the updated look it has.

You da man