Finding the perfect desk

Matteius

Apologies if this is not in the right forum, I didn't find a good match for it.

I've got a bonus coming up, and it's time once again to purchase a new desk, as at the moment I'm using a little cheap "Mr IRONSTONE" (pictured below) desk that I hate.
I'm looking for any tips in searching for/finding the perfect desk for my use, as I both work all day, and game at my desk.

20220819_114825s.thumb.jpg.2c6c8b80636ed18e88dce65bea1d5ea0.jpg

(Thanks LTT for the recommendation on secret lab chairs! Just Awesome!)

I used to have a Bestar desk (shown below) that I really loved, atleast mostly, and I'm tempted to go with the updated version of it; even though I hate the available colour choices (mostly just white).

image_s.thumb.jpg.a8661b94ca751874df968ad004ba0694.jpg

My one real problem with the Bestar was inner corner. While it does indeed have a 45 degree inner corner which sounded good, I found that it was too short. This resulted in my arms resting awkwardly on both desk ledges, and often in long work or KBM gaming sessions, led to pain. There was a pullout keyboard tray, but the desk it too low to comfortably use it.

It took me months to find this desk, and while it was good, I feel there may have been better available that I never found.

I've got a bit of a higher budget (1k USD preferred limit, 1.5 stretch) to work with this time, and shopping from Canada (Calgary area) instead of US. I won't be purchasing until October, but I'd like to figure out what it is I want to buy.

What I'm looking for in a desk is:

Solid, heavy construction (no cheap aluminum support structure)

Large L shaped (well actually symmetrical, so not really an L) design of atleast 60-80"  (152-204cm)

Deep corner work area, with either a wide 45 degree corner that fits KB+M, or a wide curved interior corner.

Bonus design features:

Large raised monitor stand

Rounded top edges

-> Moved to Peripherals

At that kind of budget, you could go for custom tabletop and then get legs of your choosing from Ikea for example. If you don't need it to be standing desk variant. For monitors I would go for desk mount as you seem to want it raised, and the stand seems to take bit too much space of your current working area.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thank you both, I will look into custom.

At the moment I am using an arm mount, but I'm thinking of going back to a large screen if I can find one (38 - 44"), which are not compatible with most arms, and a lot of weight. (though honestly looking at that insane Odyssey Ark too!)

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the advantage of having a corner desk?  What is gained from it vs. a conventional desk and a side table or some such?  Why a raised monitor stand instead of a VESA mount or a larger monitor that doesn't need to be lifted to eye height?  Why not a floor stand VESA?

I ask because your current setup simply doesn't seem to indicate a need for a corner desk.  An 18" tall end table would fit your tower just fine, leaving you with more than enough space just on a single-side desk.  A 48" wide desk is a MASSIVE amount of space if you only have a laptop, keyboard, mouse, and a UW monitor.