Ryzen 5 3600 voltage

Hey guys, I don t know much about overclocking but I do know one thing, that my cpu was staying at 70-80 degrees in idle and reached 85 under full load, at 4.0 ghz. I decided to google it and after a few days of struggle i finally found a video that said to lower the voltage, so now I am staying at 4.1 ghz fixed with 1.2 volts (instead of 1.3 something that was set by default) and my temperatures are AMAZING with 40-50 on idle and under 65 in games. Now I am wondering, is it safe long term? because I have seen some guys say that it might not be enough (even though i haven t had any crashes or bluescreens), and if I check hwmonitor my VID (max) that i don t know what is is capped at 1.2 after playing some games. I am going to put some screenshots after a bit of gaming, maybe that helps. If anyone knows if it s safe this way, or if not what should I do, I would be thankful!

Screenshot 2022-08-16 182852.png

Screenshot 2022-08-16 182911.png

6 hours ago, Andrusa said:

Hey guys, I don t know much about overclocking but I do know one thing, that my cpu was staying at 70-80 degrees in idle and reached 85 under full load, at 4.0 ghz. I decided to google it and after a few days of struggle i finally found a video that said to lower the voltage, so now I am staying at 4.1 ghz fixed with 1.2 volts (instead of 1.3 something that was set by default) and my temperatures are AMAZING with 40-50 on idle and under 65 in games. Now I am wondering, is it safe long term? because I have seen some guys say that it might not be enough (even though i haven t had any crashes or bluescreens), and if I check hwmonitor my VID (max) that i don t know what is is capped at 1.2 after playing some games. I am going to put some screenshots after a bit of gaming, maybe that helps. If anyone knows if it s safe this way, or if not what should I do, I would be thankful!

Looks good...

But are you using the stock cooler? Maybe consider an upgrade there and turn on PBO and get some additional performance from it instead? I'd think the cpu is capable of 4.4ghz with decent cooling.

With the stock cooler I was getting really bad temperatures, so I upgraded to an arctic 34 esports duo. I have a gtx 1660 super, which is kind of a bottleneck for the cpu, so is it worth it to enable pbo and go to 4.4 ghz? (keeping in mind my cooler as well)

1 hour ago, Andrusa said:

With the stock cooler I was getting really bad temperatures, so I upgraded to an arctic 34 esports duo. I have a gtx 1660 super, which is kind of a bottleneck for the cpu, so is it worth it to enable pbo and go to 4.4 ghz? (keeping in mind my cooler as well)

Oh man, that esports is no better than stock, and you can see that for yourself if inquiring to undervolt.

Can you return the esports and maybe slap a wraith Prism cooler on it for cheap? Maybe free if a buddy has one from an R7 upgrade perhaps?

You did the right thing by reducing voltage from 1.3V as it was possibly unsafe for Zen 2 CPUs and risk degrading performance. You should try running some CPU benchmarks (I use Prime95 and Cinebench R23) if you're concerned 1.2V may be too low.

I would also recommend to enable PBO if you can, which means setting your CPU clock and voltage back to auto and if it's too hot you can try reducing PPT limit. 

3 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

Oh man, that esports is no better than stock, and you can see that for yourself if inquiring to undervolt.

Can you return the esports and maybe slap a wraith Prism cooler on it for cheap? Maybe free if a buddy has one from an R7 upgrade perhaps?

Arctic 34 esports duo is fine.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

16 minutes ago, BuzzingBee said:

As you suggest to lower PPT limits or run an undervolt, I would find the statement to be true for the tester, but not for the original poster. Keeping in mind the stock cooler is designed to handle the cpu at defaults 90c or less. Tower coolers also fail the job of cooling the VRM package area as well. Another reason I suggested the Wraith Prism. Typically to cool a part you blow air onto it, not across and over it. 

The way to actually find the Fitness voltage is to run the system stock all with just PBO enabled. Run Prime95 small FFT unchecked and load it. Wait till the temps stabilize (If the esports can keep it under 90c) and take note of v-core at that time. This is the v-core you would base your overclocking around, most 3000 series chips should be around 1.28v with a give or take roughly 5%, which would be the allowed percentage of TDP swing.

But generally a small under-volt to accompany a PBO overclock. This chip is capable of much higher than Zen+ speeds of 4.1ghz PBO + 200mhz with the 2700X flagship.

7 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

got the cooler for almost a year, so yea no point in changing it since it s doing fin, like at 4.1 ghz max 65 degrees, idk but i am happy

3 hours ago, BuzzingBee said:

You did the right thing by reducing voltage from 1.3V as it was possibly unsafe for Zen 2 CPUs and risk degrading performance. You should try running some CPU benchmarks (I use Prime95 and Cinebench R23) if you're concerned 1.2V may be too low.

I would also recommend to enable PBO if you can, which means setting your CPU clock and voltage back to auto and if it's too hot you can try reducing PPT limit. 

i enabled pbo and set the clock frequency to auto and the voltage as well, and after a run of cinebench my temperatures were worse than when the voltage was fixed. I don t really understand something, the cpu used 1.4 volts and stayed at 4.2ghz almost the entire time with 75-85 degrees, but if I set the voltage down to 4.2 ghz manually and set the voltage to 1.2 fixed, why does it have the same exact performance but it stays way lower in terms of temperatures, like there has to be some catch.

Screenshot 2022-08-17 100815.png

and the more i read this the more confused I get, what s the difference between 4.1 ghz running on 1.2 volts versus a 4.0-4.2ghz pbo enabled that uses like 1.4 volts, it just produces more heat and has the same performance. That s how I understand this  am I wrong?

3 hours ago, Andrusa said:

and the more i read this the more confused I get, what s the difference between 4.1 ghz running on 1.2 volts versus a 4.0-4.2ghz pbo enabled that uses like 1.4 volts, it just produces more heat and has the same performance. That s how I understand this  am I wrong?

Have you ever updated the bios on this motherboard? That might help with this situation.

Doubt performance is the same, you went from 4ghz to 4.2ghz. 4.2ghz is where the cpu should be boosting single core clocks, but you will also see high vcore from the XFR boosts.

With PBO enabled, set a 200+ clock frequency which should get you a higher speed for the vcore used.

16 hours ago, Guest 5150 said:

As you suggest to lower PPT limits or run an undervolt, I would find the statement to be true for the tester, but not for the original poster. Keeping in mind the stock cooler is designed to handle the cpu at defaults 90c or less. Tower coolers also fail the job of cooling the VRM package area as well. Another reason I suggested the Wraith Prism. Typically to cool a part you blow air onto it, not across and over it. 

My bad I completely forgot we're talking about for gaming usage. 

11 hours ago, Andrusa said:

Ryzen CPU behaves differently, in lighter loads they can boost voltage to over 1.4v for max frequency at very short burst. For max load the voltage and frequency would be lowered but consistent throughout all cores. This is normal behaviour so no need to worry about over 1.4v spikes there. I mentioned 1.3v is potentially not safe but that's for max cpu load, with PBO it may be around 1.2v depending on your settings.

With manual OC you're crippling performance for lighter loads and if adjusted right enabling PBO would be better than manual OC.

PC spec: CPU: RYZEN 9 5950X | GPU: SAPPHIRE NITRO+ SE AMD RADEON 6900XT (Undervolt to 1045mV) | MB: MSI MAG TOMAHAWK x570 RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z NEO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3600 (OC to 3800 14-15-15-25) COOLING: NOCTUA NH-D15, BE QUIET! SILENT WINGS 120 & 140mm| CASE: IN-WIN 707 | 5.25" BAY: LG WH16NS60 INTERNAL BLU-RAY OPTICAL DRIVE | PSU: SEASONIC PRIME PLATINUM 1000WUPS: POWERSHIELD COMMANDER TOWER 1100VA

PERIPHERALS: KEYBOARD: CORSAIR K95 PLATINUM XT BROWN SWITCH | MOUSE: CORSAIR SABRE PRO WIRELESS | CONTROLLER: PDP AFTERGLOW WIRED CONTROLLER, DUALSENSE
DISPLAYS: LG 34GN8502x DELL S2721DGF | LG C1 48" 

HT & audio stuff:  AVR: MARANTZ SR7013 | STEREO AMPLIFIER: YAMAHA AS-501 | SPEAKERS: DALI OBERON 7 & DALI ZENSOR 1 & 2x SVS-SB2000 | HEADPHONE DAC+AMP: TOPPING L30+E30 | HEADPHONE: SENNHEISER HD6XX, BOSE QUIETCOMFORT 35 II | MICROPHONE: AUDIO-TECHNICA AT9934USB | BLU-RAY PLAYER: PANASONIC UB820

well guys, thanks for your help, really liked it 😄