Old psu with new gpu?

Tom80765412

Hi everyone, 

I have almost made decision to get new gpu but i have some doubts about my old psu. Its working fine perfectly with my current gpu 1060 6gb but will it be a good combination with:

This exact gpu (brand new):

https://www.palit.com/palit/vgapro.php?id=3747&lang=en&pn=NE63070019P2-1041A&tab=ov

And this psu (using for 4-5 years old now):

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Power-Supply-Units/vs-series-config-2018/p/CP-9020172-NA

Other specs: core i5-12400, 2x 8gb 3600mhz ram, ssd

I would recommend upgrading the power supply as your current one is out of warranty and not as good to pair with a RTX 3070, as Nvidia's Ampere architecture has high transient loads and may trip protections in the PSU. 

Something like a Corsair RM750x or non-x variant will work best. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Id personally not be happy with that combo but if thats what you got, then thats what you got.. if it were a gold/platinum+ id probably live with it though.  Id personally be looking to upgrade the PSU but thats just me... something in the 750 range but to be honest, I just upgraded to a 1000w for the future proofing since i had to upgrade my PSU for my 3080.  Now id like to think that in 2-3 years when I get a new GPU/CPU with the wattages going up on everything it seems hopefully I wont have to worry about the PSU for the next 1-2 generations jump in power.

1 hour ago, CommanderAlex said:

I would recommend upgrading the power supply as your current one is out of warranty and not as good to pair with a RTX 3070, as Nvidia's Ampere architecture has high transient loads and may trip protections in the PSU. 

Ok so not a good pair but what exactly "trip protections" mean?

Will it damage the GPU or other components or just wont provide power to them?

Corsair VS is a low quality unit with Double Forward + groupregulation topology. That's not gonna work very wel with any recent GPU, especially the higher end nVidia RTX and AMD RX. For that kind of cards a unit with LLC + DC-DC is needed for proper voltage regulation and low transient response time unless the system shut down. So yeah, it's recommanded to replace your PSU. Corsair RM/RMx is fine but also other brands offer good units. Which one depends on the price and availability in your country.

2 hours ago, Tom80765412 said:

Ok so not a good pair but what exactly "trip protections" mean?

Will it damage the GPU or other components or just wont provide power to them?

The power draw and voltage drop associated with powering a high-end card may result in the power supply to activate its fail safes to prevent damage and electrical harm to the rest of the system if they fall outside of specifications. It can possibly damage the GPU killing the power like that.

Also, you don't want to rely on these protections built into the power supply just in case the power supply were to actually fail, can kill other components within the system. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:49 AM, CommanderAlex said:

The power draw and voltage drop associated with powering a high-end card may result in the power supply to activate its fail safes to prevent damage and electrical harm to the rest of the system if they fall outside of specifications. It can possibly damage the GPU killing the power like that.

Also, you don't want to rely on these protections built into the power supply just in case the power supply were to actually fail, can kill other components within the system. 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:26 AM, --SID-- said:

Corsair VS is a low quality unit with Double Forward + groupregulation topology. That's not gonna work very wel with any recent GPU, especially the higher end nVidia RTX and AMD RX. For that kind of cards a unit with LLC + DC-DC is needed for proper voltage regulation and low transient response time unless the system shut down. So yeah, it's recommanded to replace your PSU. Corsair RM/RMx is fine but also other brands offer good units. Which one depends on the price and availability in your country.

On 8/15/2022 at 11:23 PM, TexasBulldog74 said:

Id personally not be happy with that combo but if thats what you got, then thats what you got.. if it were a gold/platinum+ id probably live with it though.  Id personally be looking to upgrade the PSU but thats just me... something in the 750 range but to be honest, I just upgraded to a 1000w for the future proofing since i had to upgrade my PSU for my 3080.  Now id like to think that in 2-3 years when I get a new GPU/CPU with the wattages going up on everything it seems hopefully I wont have to worry about the PSU for the next 1-2 generations jump in power.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:21 PM, CommanderAlex said:

Thanks for your suggestions and replies guys. I will definitely upgrade my psu before using this gpu...