RTX 3080 OC NUMBERS

Go to solution Solved by Levent,
Just now, bebejapes said:

@Levent how are my air temps looking?

Perfectly fine for stock fan profiles, every Asus card I had targets 80 to 75c. IIRC even my GTX970 Strix was like that and my current 3070 Noctua is also like that.

Hi i just wanted some help in understanding this from asus website

Engine Clock

OC Mode - 1935 MHz (Boost Clock) Gaming Mode (Default) - GPU Boost Clock : 1905 MHz , GPU Base Clock : 1440 MHz

this is my HW monitor numbers
image.png.807fe1d73e63801ab87e225c1cd85dda.png

GPU Base clock = minimum clock speed your GPU will hit when it is not able to boost. (Can be due to temperatures, power limits, voltage or simply due to you not needing to boost your GPU clock frequency). You can think of this as the guaranteed minimum clock as long as your card is not throttling due to temperature.

GPU Boost clock = frequency your GPU can clock UP TO when your GPU temperatures, power limits and voltage limits lets you.

OC Mode = is usually a BIOS switch on the card itself where it provides minimal increase to GPU Boost clock. Same temperature, power limit and voltage limits apply. This profile usually has a different fan curve (usually louder but not noticeably)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

GPU Base clock = minimum clock speed your GPU will hit when it is not able to boost. (Can be due to temperatures, power limits, voltage or simply due to you not needing to boost your GPU clock frequency). You can think of this as the guaranteed minimum clock as long as your card is not throttling due to temperature.

GPU Boost clock = frequency your GPU can clock UP TO when your GPU temperatures, power limits and voltage limits lets you.

OC Mode = is usually a BIOS switch on the card itself where it provides minimal increase to GPU Boost clock. Same temperature, power limit and voltage limits apply. This profile usually has a different fan curve (usually louder but not noticeably)

okay makes sense. now how does my numbers compare to that of asus

okay makes sense. now how does my numbers compare to that of asus

Fine? looks like around +105mhz overclock. Its not anything special and probably %99 of all 3080 can hit that.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Fine? looks like around +105mhz overclock. Its not anything special and probably %99 of all 3080 can hit that.

ahh so the graphic card is = to hw monitor "graphic"

@Levent how are my air temps looking?

Perfectly fine for stock fan profiles, every Asus card I had targets 80 to 75c. IIRC even my GTX970 Strix was like that and my current 3070 Noctua is also like that.

thanks man

18 minutes ago, Levent said:

Not mine, basic Gigabyte Eagle with locked power limit at 320W, can't get past 1905MHz (and usually run @1860) 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Just now, PDifolco said:

Not mine, basic Gigabyte Eagle with locked power limit at 320W, can't get past 1905MHz (and usually run @1860) 

OP apperantly has a 3080 Strix, my bad 3080 clock table is significantly different than 3070s that I am familiar with.

Just now, Levent said:

OP apperantly has a 3080 Strix, my bad 3080 clock table is significantly different than 3070s that I am familiar with.

Yup and as per his HWInfo data his GPU eats up to 360W, which allows OC

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

is this a good or bad thing

is this a good or bad thing

Good. Higher clocks = more performance.

1 minute ago, PDifolco said:

Yup and as per his HWInfo data his GPU eats up to 360W, which allows OC

i try to optimize my temps and fan curves so it naturally hit higher numbers

2 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

i try to optimize my temps and fan curves so it naturally hit higher numbers

If you really want to lower temps and reduce fan noise just do the reverse : slight undervolt (say 0.875V at 1900MHz) and limit power to 90% of base 320W, so say 280W, you'll lose less than 5% performance but will significantly reduce temps and then fan ramp up as well

3 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

If you really want to lower temps and reduce fan noise just do the reverse : slight undervolt (say 0.875V at 1900MHz) and limit power to 90% of base 320W, so say 280W, you'll lose less than 5% performance but will significantly reduce temps and then fan ramp up as well

are my temps that bad?

2 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

are my temps that bad?

No, they're ok, but the fans @2000 rpm should be quite audible...I was fed up with my GPU fans noise so decided to watercool it (360mm rad), temps down by 10 to 15C and fans no higher than 1300 rpm now 🙂

13 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

No, they're ok, but the fans @2000 rpm should be quite audible...I was fed up with my GPU fans noise so decided to watercool it (360mm rad), temps down by 10 to 15C and fans no higher than 1300 rpm now 🙂

what did you do to watercool it?

1 hour ago, bebejapes said:

what did you do to watercool it?

Got a GPU AIO from Alphacool, they exist for many 3080 models 🙂