What to do about a (seemingly) failed NVMe drive?

Shmael1053

So this is a fun one.

A couple weeks ago I started to get this weird issue where occasionally my screen would go black for a half second or more before coming back. After about a week this progressed to minor graphical glitches, so I assumed it was a problem with my GPU and swapped in another card. The other card displayed (most) of the same problems, and when I checked HWinfo to see how the second card was performing, I noticed that my boot drive (A WD_BLACK SN750 SE) had a red “Drive Failure - Reliability” warning. I’d noticed zero weird storage behavior, so I thought it might be a bug with HWinfo, but then the next time I rebooted I got a “Fixing C:” progress bar. The system worked perfectly fine after this, and the whole PC is only about eight months old, so I thought it was a one-time error and any chance of a full-blown failure was small. I went out of town for a week and when I came back my system was still working fine.
Last night I stepped away from my PC for a few minutes and came back to a black screen with a mouse cursor in the middle. I did a hard shutdown and when I rebooted, my motherboard was giving a POST error that means no boot drive detected. I managed to get into the BIOS after some fiddling, and my motherboard is detecting all of my storage devices, but isn’t picking up the WD SSD as a boot device.

Not really sure what to do now. Is there any way to fix a NVMe drive that’s being detected by the system but can’t be read? Or do I need to just RMA the thing and reinstall Windows?

if you have data on the drive that you want to try to recover, you can use a tool like this and another pc to attempt to diagnose further and read from the drive. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTTCC4H

after that or if it inst matter, start RMA process. dont ever bother with a storage device the moment it gives you even a hint of trouble. just not worth it.