RGB Computer Lightshow

Breina

https://youtu.be/0d5XHdPOVd0

The light show

I programmatically extract timings from the rhythm game Stepmania (or Etterna) and play those back through OpenRGB. I can differentiate individual notes and heavy drums, slow and fast parts of a song, notes that need to be held for a while, ascending or descending pitch, etc... All with perfect timings, already available with a library of over 10 000 songs.

There's some other songs on my channel that demonstrate particular features; tempo changes, other lights that aren't used in this one.

On my screen I've displayed an animation that shows what's currently going on, and if you're seeing flashes on my desk, that's because I'm sending the same lightshow to my ceiling lights.

With some Java knowledge, you should already be able to use this on your own system, though it requires writing some code. Trying to come up with some generalized system that's easier to configure through YAML.

Specs

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X 24-Core Processor

Mobo: Asus Zenith Extreme 2 Alpha

RAM: G.Skill DDR4 RGB 16 Gb x8

GPU: Nvidia 1080 Ti x2

Case: Lian-Li O11D XL with RGB

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

More RGB

Fans: Corsair LL and QL fans

GPU blocks: Phanteks 1080Ti RGB blocks (got them at different times and their RGB is very inaccurate)

CPU monoblock: EKWB for this motherboard with RGB

Mobo: Side, chipset and IO block RGB

Reservoir: EKWB for this case with RGB

RGB distribution: Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub x2, ASUS extension card

Flow meter: OC flow meter; should be RGB but I think the cable got unplugged when I crammed the case shut

Setup

Not too long ago, I partially rebuilt my computer due to a water cooling maintenance issue. In my last build, I used a custom PCB to distribute addressable RGB into discrete RGB outputs. But times have moved on and almost everything in my case now is addressable. The Corsair RGB hub worked wonders, using the trick of using its last output for steering other addressable strips.

It's very cool.

Though it's stuff like this that just reminds me of why I never want to have/learn anything ever about rgb lol

hmm nice. im going to have so much rgb in my pc that i dont even no if one psu for just for the rgb will be enough... 🤔 i came across argb pcie extensions and almost got them... but i plan on getting a gpu with an active back plate and i have to see it so im not vertical mount mt gpu anymore although the other side of my pc could...🤔 but i only have one window on the case so for now it be pointless.

also found out hot glue dose not stick to silicon argb strips... who know

waterdamge 006.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

9 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

also found out hot glue dose not stick to silicon argb strips... who know

Been there! Try Tec7.

Don't worry about power consumption. It's about 25W when everything is lit. Looks like your fans are going to use up way more.

The main challenge is being able to individually control the LEDs, instead of parallelizing all of it. I didn't go for the PCIe RGB extensions (they also have Mobo and CPU extensions power) because I didn't think I could fit any more cables / all motherboard headers are occupied.

1 hour ago, Breina said:

Been there! Try Tec7.

Don't worry about power consumption. It's about 25W when everything is lit. Looks like your fans are going to use up way more.

The main challenge is being able to individually control the LEDs, instead of parallelizing all of it. I didn't go for the PCIe RGB extensions (they also have Mobo and CPU extensions power) because I didn't think I could fit any more cables / all motherboard headers are occupied.

ya the only way to get more zones is (more headers) aka a usb controller. corsair pro can do 12 zones on one controller.

well thows strips at the bottem are only a fraction of what i intend to have...

lets see here...

24x corsair hd120mm fans

4 more argb strips along the side of the window

might add some to the bottom of the mb dont no yet...

3x m.2 water blocks (thinking of more atm...) 3 on mb and one or 2 on a pcie m.2 card...(why a m.2 to sata pcie card you ask well i use w7 and w7 dose not install to an m.2 so i cant use the m.2 on the mb for the os i think i can use it for storage thow...)

2x ram argb wbs

3x 8pin gpu

24pin mb

3x rgb power switch with a convertor to go from argb controller to rgb device

at lest one fan in the psu

argb on gpu water blocks when i get that...

argb on 2x aquacomputer pumps + 2x res rings

2x argb flow meters

cpu block has argb i think

i dont no if one psu can handle all that off of the 5v rail... as i want all the argb hooked to the pus then i push a button and all the argb gose out so i can sleep...😎

i just thoght of making mb 8pin argb as well... help me plz send help PLZ PLZ

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

Here's a checklist that might help;

• How many ARGB headers do you need?
  • How many USB headers does your mobo have? You may need to split USB 3 into USB 2 headers, or whatever it's called now.
  • How many fan headers do you need? You will need to use some extra hubs for that.
  • How many PSU headers do you need? Take note that your ARGB hubs and fan hubs all need power as well. Don't forget ALL your mobo PSU portS, GPU portS, SSD's, pumps, ...

I think the outcome is going to be that you will end up with 2 PSUs indeed.

There's fans that you can daisy chain, I don't know which, but that will VASTLY ease the amount of cables you need to pull. This case is going to get cramped otherwise.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:45 AM, Breina said:

Here's a checklist that might help;

• How many ARGB headers do you need?
  • How many USB headers does your mobo have? You may need to split USB 3 into USB 2 headers, or whatever it's called now.
  • How many fan headers do you need? You will need to use some extra hubs for that.
  • How many PSU headers do you need? Take note that your ARGB hubs and fan hubs all need power as well. Don't forget ALL your mobo PSU portS, GPU portS, SSD's, pumps, ...

I think the outcome is going to be that you will end up with 2 PSUs indeed.

There's fans that you can daisy chain, I don't know which, but that will VASTLY ease the amount of cables you need to pull. This case is going to get cramped otherwise.

are you talking to me? you sould use the quote button. if so

my case has tons of space. can take 6 psu, i have all the controllers for the fans but dont no how its all getting hooked up or what im just gona run all the cables up to the top and from there i dont no... thats why a plan of whats what has to be made and lables. it will be a rats nest of cables but i wont be able to see it so...

pc update 006 (2).jpg

psu update 004.jpg

rgb fans 003.jpg