capacitor substitution

fanman1980

i have an antique radio i am restoring that has a bunch of 0.05uf capacitos in it. i am wondering if i can substitute 0.068 uf capacitors in place of the 0.05.

why? is there a supply issue? cost?

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

Probably safer to go with 0.047 uF as those 0.05uF will be +/- 10% or something like that anyway, and 0.047uF will be good enough.

Though I doubt these are electrolytic capacitors, should be film or something similar in that low capacitance value.

Rather than using what you have on hand, place an order and better to wait.

Generally that's a bad idea. Unless you're certain the capacitance value is relatively unimportant to the circuit's functionality (e.g. smoothing capacitor) I wouldn't change it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 hours ago, fanman1980 said:

i have an antique radio i am restoring that has a bunch of 0.05uf capacitors in it. i am wondering if i can substitute 0.068 uf capacitors in place of the 0.05.

Absolutely do so.

YES.

What you are going to put in won't leak which the original paper capacitors will be doing.

I've only been doing what you are about to do for about 60 years.

The difference in capacity is very little. What you have is more capacity so that will be good.

The important thing to check is the voltage rating. The capacitors going in must be the same or greater. If for example the original = 200 volt the replacement should be 200 volt or 300 volt or 350 volt or.....

The same as, or greater voltage rating.

If they are coupling capacitors between audio stages you will just get an a little deeper bass and it will be fine. If they are in an audio filter, you will change its properties. When used as power supply filters, more capacity generally is good and will only improve performance. In short: It most likely will be fine and nothing brakes, if you try it.