AMD CPU Low FPS in Games

sanderlawrence
Go to solution Solved by merco,

Maybe you can go back to an older GPU driver, sometimes switching to the newest driver can introduce problems, so try to go back a version or 2 to when it was still working fine. 

Lately I have been experiencing low fps in games like GTA V singleplayer mode and Apex Legends. My pc specs aren't the best but I believe that they can easily achieve 60 FPS in these games. 

The first thing that I have done is to update my bios because I haven't updated it since I built my PC. That didn't solve the problem. Second, I tried repasting the CPU and I also cleaned the CPU socket with Isopropyl alcohol and I also check for bent pins and so far I think there's non. After the repasting process, I still get low FPS in games. Third, I tried remove the old drivers using DDU. After the reinstalling the drivers, I still couldn't get 60 FPS in games. The only solution that I could think of is to reformat and reinstall windows. Any help is greatly appreciated.

My specs are:

• Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • MSI B450m Mortar (BIOS version 7B89v1E, 2020-06-16)
  • AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Wraith Stealth Cooler (3.7 GHz stock speed)
  • 2x8GB GSkill TridentZ RGB RAM (3200MHz XMP Profile 2)
  • Gigabyte RX 580 4GB (stock speed)
  • Samsung 860 Evo SSD (500GB) Boot drive
  • WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200rpm Storage drive
  • EVGA  550 G2 (550W 80+ Gold)

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

that seems about right for the hardware you have honestly. It could use a bit of tinkering for settings, but that is still a 4 core 4 thread on the 1st gen ryzen Node, with a 580 4 gig. You could try a new drive with a clean install of windows to see but i wouldnt expect much of a difference

GTA V is badly optimised for the ultra settings. In Apex Legends menu I see your CPU nearly to 100% of load, that's bad, actually. If this happens in the menu, what in the game itself? You better be upgrading your CPU for any Ryzen 5 to prevent overload.

Are you connecting your hdmi cable actually into your graphics card, instead of the back of your motherboard?

Is your resolution 1080p?

What graphics settings? If you have set MSAA to 8x I can see why you only get 22fps in gta 5. Your pc is not strong enough for it, so set it to off.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

3 minutes ago, Origami Cactus said:

Are you connecting your hdmi cable actually into your graphics card, instead of the back of your motherboard?

Is your resolution 1080p?

What graphics settings? If you have set MSAA to 8x I can see why you only get 22fps in gta 5. Your pc is not strong enough for it, so set it to off.

I connected my HDMI cable to my GPU. Yes my resolution is 1080p. My settings are on high and MSAA is set to 2x.

12 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

that seems about right for the hardware you have honestly. It could use a bit of tinkering for settings, but that is still a 4 core 4 thread on the 1st gen ryzen Node, with a 580 4 gig. You could try a new drive with a clean install of windows to see but i wouldnt expect much of a difference

I know its a 4 core 4 thread but its capable. You can even search it on youtube with some people paring it with 570 and 580. I've been playing last month with 60 fps but suddenly for some unknown reason, I can't even get past 30 FPS now.

11 minutes ago, Vezuwey said:

GTA V is badly optimised for the ultra settings. In Apex Legends menu I see your CPU nearly to 100% of load, that's bad, actually. If this happens in the menu, what in the game itself? You better be upgrading your CPU for any Ryzen 5 to prevent overload.

I play high settings on GTA V and the lowest settings on Apex Legends.

Maybe you can go back to an older GPU driver, sometimes switching to the newest driver can introduce problems, so try to go back a version or 2 to when it was still working fine. 

2 hours ago, merco said:

I solved the problem. I switched to an older driver version Adrenalin 2020 20.1.4. I am now getting a 100 fps on lowest settings in Apex Legends. I'll soon upgrade to a 5600X. Thanks for the reply. Also, AMD's drivers suck. Was thinking on upgrading to an RX 6600 XT because it's much cheaper, but I think I'll just get an RX 3060/Ti or I'll just wait for the RTX 4000 series. 

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Good to hear, you can probably save a bit on the cpu and get a regular 5600 and then go for the 3060ti that should be a really nice combo for gaming. I have seen the 3060ti for 460 which kinda sucks it's still like 15% above MSRP after all this time while AMD cards here have dropped below MSRP in some cases. But yeah they know why they can afford to charge more, nvidia still has the mindshare - better drivers/stability. I'd like to stay unbiased but after buying the 5600xt I'm really thinking twice about going AMD GPU again. I had a lot of crashes and it was just a miserable experience to troubleshoot it, because tons of people had problems but none of the solutions seemed to help. In the end I changed the RAM and it got better, but I still think that it was a mix of 2 problems with the GPU drivers resetting a lot. Well I guess at least it's not intel's GPU drivers, those look like a nightmare in comparison, hope they sort it out soon. Right now I am happy with my GPU, but it really took a while until it was stable.