New RTX3080 won't display proper resolution

Wysoseriouss
Go to solution Solved by Wysoseriouss,

For anyone who has a similar issue and comes across this thread in the future, I solved it. Turns out that my PCI-E 3.0 riser cable wasn't playing nice with the PCI-E 4.0 GPU. There are a couple of solutions to this, you can either use another GPU to get signal, and set your PCI connection to 3.0 in the BIOS, or get a 4.0 riser (which is what I did).

So, lesson learned, PCI-E is backwards compatible, but it seems that risers often aren't.

Hey all,

I finally got my hands on an RTX 3080 recently and finally got around to installing it in my system, but there are some issues.

A little background first, I have a full custom water loop, including a pump/res combo, a 360 rad in the front, a 240 in the top and CPU and GPU blocks.

I spent the better part of today battling with my hardline loop just to install the shiny new RTX3080, finally got it there, leak tested and everything. Plugged it in and it refuses to show the proper resolution on my ultrawide monitor, even after installing the Graphics drivers. It does run better on my seconday monitor, just a plain acer 1080p panel, but still has some weird issues where the image just drops out.

My full PC specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX3080 (Previously a GTX1070), 32gb RAM, m.2 PCIE Gen3 boot SSD, 1TB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, Corsair RM750w PSU, plus the custom loop previously mentioned.

Now, I suspect I know the issue, but I wanted to run it by the brains trust on this forum before I pull the trigger on buying any more parts.

Any advice you could give would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

7 minutes ago, Wysoseriouss said:

Hey all,

I finally got my hands on an RTX 3080 recently and finally got around to installing it in my system, but there are some issues.

A little background first, I have a full custom water loop, including a pump/res combo, a 360 rad in the front, a 240 in the top and CPU and GPU blocks.

I spent the better part of today battling with my hardline loop just to install the shiny new RTX3080, finally got it there, leak tested and everything. Plugged it in and it refuses to show the proper resolution on my ultrawide monitor, even after installing the Graphics drivers. It does run better on my seconday monitor, just a plain acer 1080p panel, but still has some weird issues where the image just drops out.

My full PC specs:

Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX3080 (Previously a GTX1070), 32gb RAM, m.2 PCIE Gen3 boot SSD, 1TB SATA SSD, 2TB HDD, Corsair RM750w PSU, plus the custom loop previously mentioned.

Now, I suspect I know the issue, but I wanted to run it by the brains trust on this forum before I pull the trigger on buying any more parts.

Thanks!

What resolutions can you select in the display options? Screenshot maybe?

38 minutes ago, Wysoseriouss said:

Hey all,

My full PC specs:

Thanks!

Tried DDU-ing your driver then reinstall a new one ?
My new 3080 12gb refused to be recognized by GPU-z (GPU-z says Microsoft Display whatever) eventhough it was at the version where the driver supports 3080 12gb. (previously using 3060ti, driver previously at version where it doesn't support 3080 12gb, then updated to a newer version while using 3060ti without DDU-ing)
Went into safe mode & DDU-ed the driver, reboot, then reinstall the same version.
Voila, suddenly GPU-Z & everything else recognizes it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

12 hours ago, Naijin said:

What resolutions can you select in the display options? Screenshot maybe?

it was like 1024x768, something like that. I'd screenshot it but I can't get any signal at this point. It only occasionally gives me an image now.

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

12 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Tried DDU-ing your driver then reinstall a new one ?
My new 3080 12gb refused to be recognized by GPU-z (GPU-z says Microsoft Display whatever) eventhough it was at the version where the driver supports 3080 12gb. (previously using 3060ti, driver previously at version where it doesn't support 3080 12gb, then updated to a newer version while using 3060ti without DDU-ing)
Went into safe mode & DDU-ed the driver, reboot, then reinstall the same version.
Voila, suddenly GPU-Z & everything else recognizes it.

I managed to get it going long enough to do a DDU then re-installing the latest NVidia driver. But now, it won't even give me a signal. My original suspicion is that this setup is pushing my 750w PSU to its limit and so the GPU isn't getting enough power.

• 2 months later...

For anyone who has a similar issue and comes across this thread in the future, I solved it. Turns out that my PCI-E 3.0 riser cable wasn't playing nice with the PCI-E 4.0 GPU. There are a couple of solutions to this, you can either use another GPU to get signal, and set your PCI connection to 3.0 in the BIOS, or get a 4.0 riser (which is what I did).

So, lesson learned, PCI-E is backwards compatible, but it seems that risers often aren't.