I have an HP Pavilion 15-au009tx (i7-6500U, GeForce 940MX, 8GB DDR4) and I can't get the 940MX working. It shows a code 43 in device manager and doesn't show up anywhere (NVIDIA control panel doesn't launch, no high performance GPU option in graphics settings, etc). I have tried the following steps:

1) Downloading the specific drivers from HP's website.

2) Letting Windows download drivers.

3) Manually downloading the latest drivers from NVIDIA.

(used DDU in between steps 1-3).

4) Fully upgrading BIOS/Reset to default. The BIOS is very limited so I can't really change anything here, it only has boot options, virtualization, and various security options. 

5) Multiple Windows re-installs (Windows 10 21H2 64-bit). 

6) Disconnecting the internal screen and using an external monitor via HDMI.

Think it's dead? I haven't tried removing the heatsink over the GPU yet although I might take a look since this laptop has had a lot of strange assembly or repair issues (disconnected strip cables, a literal sticker blocking the RAM stick's contact point).

I'm sorry to say but 43 is usually dead hardware 😞

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2022 at 11:52 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'm sorry to say but 43 is usually dead hardware 😞

Any way to attempt a repair? I'm definitely inexperienced with laptop components but I'm interested in giving it a try. I got this laptop for free so I'm trying to use it as a learning experience. 

9 hours ago, rmgdnz said:

Any way to attempt a repair? I'm definitely inexperienced with laptop components but I'm interested in giving it a try. I got this laptop for free so I'm trying to use it as a learning experience. 

You could take a look and see if anything is obviously gone bad, check continuity and all that stuff. If you have a spare oven you never want to use for food again you could do a solder reflow but you are probably not going to revive it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016