The Ultimate Steam Deck

AlexTheGreatish

We couldn't just settle for having the best Steam Deck Valve will sell you.. we needed the absolute best one in the world.

Print the Steam Deck holder: https://www.printables.com/model/167283-steam-deck-repair-jig-fixed

Buy a JSAUX Upgraded Docking Station for Steam Deck: https://lmg.gg/eUYJS

Buy a Micron 2230 SSD: https://lmg.gg/igunU

Buy a GuliKit Stick Replacement: https://geni.us/RGNlf

Buy a Thermalright HR-09 2280 Heatsink: https://geni.us/J6AqO

Buy an Anker PowerHouse 256Wh: https://geni.us/Bp3r1s

Buy a Ravpower RP-PB186BSPF: https://lmg.gg/hLKRY

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Not using a Fan-grill for the Noctua Fan..... What a shame..

A 3d printed bracked could work as well, that way it sits better on the heatsink.

Just like a 4 pin JST male/female cable connectors for the external fan. that way you can remove it if needed. without much hassle

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

I'm definitely in for the replacement sticks, seems like a no brainer!

Side note: for Bootable ISOs, Ventoy is bloody amazing.  Just set it up once and then you can add ISOs to the drive straight, no need to re-flash with Rufus.  Can have multiple Windows & Linux ISOs, MemTest, Partition software, etc.

Personally Backpack Battery is still superior IMO, just need a smaller pack.  Fit a pair of 60W output (90WH) batteries into my EDC sling (3D printed holders for inside the bag), routed cables through the strap, and it's nice and clean.  Can even recharge the batteries without pulling them out.  Deck is already heavy enough for me since i have some nerve issues in my arm, so this keeps me going for as long as I could need.  

PXL_20220607_230339317.jpg

PXL_20220607_230406250.jpg

PXL_20220607_230434265.jpg

55 minutes ago, iron1050 said:

What laptop was he using there?

dell xps 15.6 

How big was the heatsink for the power management chip that they showed in the video? I was going to do the thumbstick swap like they did and figured I'd pickup a heatsink for that chip also.

As I saw In the video the fans didn't even spin. So which means that there is more thermal headroom for the SteamDeck; DEAR LMG PLEASE MAKE A VIDEO OVERCLOCKING IT! INCREASTE THE WATTAGE TO THE APU THROUGH (AMD APU Tuning UtilityAATU! THERE WILL BE EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE INCREASES

what's up with the scorpion? Saw that thing in another ltt video too.

Does anyone know if the CAD file was released for the heatsink bracket?

Someone needs to try an OLED mod at some point. I tried to find screens that may work and came up with a couple options. Requirements are physical size, resolution, touch capability, and interface (in the case of the Steam Deck, MIPI).

This one from Alibaba might be a good candidate: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Flexible-Oled-Display-Touch-Screen-7_1600291179358.html

OLED 7" Touch with MIPI

Also, this? https://www.panelook.com/AMS767KC04-1\_Samsung\_7.7\_Assembly\_overview\_18731.html

Super jazzed for the joystick replacement. That's going to pretty much be the first thing I do, replace the OE with Hall Effect sticks.

Then I'll get sad, and have to replace my PS5 sticks with Hall Effect as well.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

On 7/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, swimtome said:

Side note: for Bootable ISOs, Ventoy is bloody amazing.  Just set it up once and then you can add ISOs to the drive straight, no need to re-flash with Rufus.  Can have multiple Windows & Linux ISOs, MemTest, Partition software, etc.

What a godsend, no idea I was doing it wrong the whole time, lol

Just tested it with my dinky lil 16gb USB I've been using for ages now, yeah, it works, just ordered a 128gb so I can just have one jack of all trades boot drive. 

5 hours ago, Sarra said:

Super jazzed for the joystick replacement. That's going to pretty much be the first thing I do, replace the OE with Hall Effect sticks.

Then I'll get sad, and have to replace my PS5 sticks with Hall Effect as well.

I was thinking the same thing. I've had a Nintendo Switch I've used very sparingly to play Zelda for the past few years and it's already drifting! I barely use it! I got so fed up I just decided to emulate the game and finish it that way, didn't want to deal with the headache of sending them to Nintendo/repairing myself. It was better that way anyway cause I got 60fps lul

Anyways once I get my Deck, along with the SSD it'll be the first thing I upgrade, also the smaller dead zone is a huge plus, good for shooters.

My final question is how are the stock touchpad mouse things on this lil guy? I'd like to know in case me and my bros get together for a little AoE 2 or other RTS where a mouse is needed. How does it works for shooters? Would love to know! 

9 hours ago, nikescar said:

Someone needs to try an OLED mod at some point. I tried to find screens that may work and came up with a couple options. Requirements are physical size, resolution, touch capability, and interface (in the case of the Steam Deck, MIPI).

This one from Alibaba might be a good candidate: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Flexible-Oled-Display-Touch-Screen-7_1600291179358.html

OLED 7" Touch with MIPI

Also, this? https://www.panelook.com/AMS767KC04-1\_Samsung\_7.7\_Assembly\_overview\_18731.html

I would LOVE to see this. Not necessarily just for myself but also would be a super fun type of video to watch or guide to read. 

I was browsing my chrome suggested posts, when i saw a 3rd party site reporting on this mod. The typos and the other mistakes are incredibly funny (e.g. "Linux Tech Tips", "3 TB memory", etc)

Not sure if i can post the name or the link of that site, so i'll wait for clearance

• 2 weeks later...

Could you please link the epoxy, 'thermal coat', IC heat sink, and the SSD that was used in the video (where you can actually purchase the ssd) please? If I missed the part that it (the ssd) isn't available to the public, then ignore that please.The ladder is truely what I am looking for.

Time stamp I am referring for Epoxy, Thermal coat, and IC heat sink is at 9:33

SSD is at 2:05 (obvious) lol - thanks guys!

@AlexTheGreatish

Adding the storage and EMJs seem like reasonable upgrades, provided Valve doesn't alter their policy.

As to the cooling problem - since what LTT have are test units, Valve still has time to revise the back cover and develop their own heatsink+fan solution for release later, before shipping machines in October. They could even make this and an extended battery their own expansion module, with kickstand.

anyone at lmg have a picture of the wiring for the fan? or have a theorized way of making the entire unit detachable (not soldering it directly to a fan inside the case)?

Can someone inform me what screws/stand offs were used for the plate? We’re they m4? I like the whole concept with the plate definitely CNC made one myself but was going to go with a lower profile 2280 cooler I’m just stuck figuring out what screw/stand offs were used all information helps. Sucks I can’t find a 3 pin JST cable to run two fans without soldering in.

The scaling is set to 100% however, most of the 2280 heatsinks I saw were 24MM please advise the correct scaling for this file.

00AD9C7E-9CD2-442F-A987-AAE54F9154EF.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I posted this on the video before thinking of asking here.  Is there anyone who knows where I could find the .stl files for the joystick protector molds? I would like to print my own mold and make my own joystick protectors for my own steamdeck.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know what they used for the ic heat sink (note this not the heat sink bracket they mentioned, it’s the tiny one they put internally, then placed thermal paste on it). I want to know the brand they used for it.