Ryzen 3600X and 4 sticks of ram. A tale of sorts

So, bit of a tale. My old motherboard died (Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite) of unknown causes (power cycling unrecoverable with crash free bios). I replaced the board with an X570S Aorus Elite AX motherboard. Everything went fine until I realized I did not have my ram set to their XMP profiles. 

At default speeds (2133) my ram was fine. No issues. XMP profiles enabled? BSODs and all kinds of erractic behavior. Chrome tabs just crashing randomly, discord crashing and resetting. strange lag, etc. 

running a memtest I was able to confirm I had at least possibly bad ram. After testing each stick individually, then confirming my changing slots I was able confirmed at least 1 stick was bad but only at 3200MHz (XMP profile). After ordering and replacing the bad stick I still had issues. System was still unstable and would sometimes still throw errors in ram tests. 

After a lot of digging I figured out the issue was related to my processor's memory controller and the number of sticks I have. LOTS of messing around I found that setting the XMP profile, turning on High Frequency Support to Level 1 and setting SoC voltage to 1.1v fix my stability issues finally. 

Note, I never had these issues before I changed my motherboard. Take this as a tale of learning. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

5 minutes ago, Pickles von Brine said:

setting SoC voltage to 1.1v fix my stability issues finally. 

Did you ever play around with different voltages for soc? I've heard it recommended that as low below 1.1v as possible is ideal for Ryzen CPUs cause they can be a bit sensitive in the long run. If you can scrape off a couple tenths of a volt you'll probably be sitting just a bit more pretty.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Did you ever play around with different voltages for soc? I've heard it recommended that as low below 1.1v as possible is ideal for Ryzen CPUs cause they can be a bit sensitive in the long run. If you can scrape off a couple tenths of a volt you'll probably be sitting just a bit more pretty.

I will give it a shot and see what happens. 

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

I've heard it recommended that as low below 1.1v as possible is ideal for Ryzen CPUs cause they can be a bit sensitive in the long run.

It's very dependent on the CPU, most of the ones I've seen sweet spot in between 1.1V and 1.2V (my 5900X does best memory OC at 1.175V). I haven't heard of any doing best at ~1.05V, though anything's possible. 

Odds are the old board set the SOC voltage a bit closer to the sweet spot for the chip compared to the new one (I know my X570 Master sets 1.2V by default, while other boards I've used are more in the 1V range)

12 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

Anything below 1.1 volts makes my system unstable. 

12 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's very dependent on the CPU, most of the ones I've seen sweet spot in between 1.1V and 1.2V (my 5900X does best memory OC at 1.175V). I haven't heard of any doing best at ~1.05V, though anything's possible. 

Odds are the old board set the SOC voltage a bit closer to the sweet spot for the chip compared to the new one (I know my X570 Master sets 1.2V by default, while other boards I've used are more in the 1V range)

Yeah 1.1 seems to be stable. If I still have instability I am going to bump it up a tenth and see what that does.