Does the Floatplane team know about this?

Go to solution Solved by GuiltySpark_,

Luke has talked about that very app on WAN show in the past.

Was talking to my brother about how there's like no Spiderman movies on D+, for the US at least, but using my VPN I could connect to Turkey and have all the Spiderman movies I wanted. Then got to seeing if the VPN provider I used may have had an app for it on Roku (kind of silly I know but never hurts to check) that's when I saw this and just got a very sketchy feeling about it.

With this fan base, it wouldn't be that far to guess that someone could have made a Floatplane app for Roku, but then Linus had that WAN show where those r*** allegations were brought up and how many "smart" products don't really have that good security. It could be a good target, for a lack of better words, for bad actors to cause harm to someone's network/device. Is it me being too tin foil hat-y or is anyone else getting some sketch feelings about it?

20220723_105019.jpg

20220723_105034.jpg

20220723_105055.jpg

20220723_105106.jpg

There are many fan made floatplane apps out there. As long as they distinguish that they're unofficial and in no way affiliated with LTT/LMG/Floatplane then its generally fine

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Luke has talked about that very app on WAN show in the past.

I must have not watched that EP of the WAN show then, I may just be a bit paranoid after that out of left field allegation and making me think of what other bad actors might do to try and harm Linus/LTT reputation and public appearance.

This was like right after that Friday, but couldn't upload it until today as the forms were down the whole day, yesterday. 

It has been in works almost since beginning of FP

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Developer here!

I get where you're coming from, as the final package that's uploaded to the Roku store can't be decompiled on the end-user's side, thus you never know 100% for sure what's in the final code. That said, nothing phone's home on my end, and the app itself doesn't save any user data other than cookies -- there was a short period where Cloudflare was causing issues and users had to manually grab the CF token from the FP site itself and send it to their device (via a custom-written REST API on my server that made it easier for users to copy/paste the token rather than manually having to type it in via remote/phone), but that was phased out shortly after once another solution was found. 

The source is also available via Github if you would like to read through it. If you have any questions/concerns/feedback, I'm always available here, via Discord (link in the thread that Logical linked above), or on most any other platform where a "bmlzootown" exists (Twitter, Reddit, etc.).