New build b450 r5 5600x

Hi guys,

Is there a problem with building a New gaming rig with a 5600x on b450? 

I know i wont have PCIe 4, But for a mid range GPU it wont make a (huge) difference afaik. 

I also wont do anything with large file transfairs so a PCIe 3 (or even 2) wont be a bottleneck. 

Thanks for your help 

2 minutes ago, Devryd said:

Is there a problem with building a New gaming rig with a 5600x on b450? 

The only major consideration would be to get a motherboard that has a BIOS flash button. You definitely want a new motherboard with BIOS flashback (or Gigabyte's Q-Flash Plus). Or, if you're buying used, ensuring what BIOS version is on the board already or making sure the seller can update it for you for compatibility with Ryzen 5000.

However, for budget builds it is often beneficial to get a 12th gen Intel CPU, in this current market. What country are you buying in?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Unless you already have the B450 board there's not much reason to get one 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

14 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I know i wont have PCIe 4, But for a mid range GPU it wont make a (huge) difference afaik. 

It depends on the specific GPU for whether it'll make a difference. For a 6500 XT it'll make a huge difference, for a 6600 (XT) it'll make a small difference (those are only x8 Gen 4), for something like a 3060 Ti it'll make no difference. 

My main problem with recommending B450 boards for new gaming rigs is that the price difference between a B450 board and a B550 board is pretty small, and for the most part the B550 boards are built a lot better. Compare the B550M Steel Legend to the B450M Steel Legend, it's a $20 difference and you get a VRM that's roughly double the current capacity in addition to the other benefits of B550. The bottom of the barrel boards are still the bottom of the barrel boards, there's not really any difference between the cheapest B550 and the cheapest B450, but the quality goes up a lot faster on B550 than on B450.

EDIT: I do want to point out that realistically for a 5600X the bottom of the barrel boards are perfectly fine, but my point is more if you can get a board that's a lot better for a very small price difference. Personally I'd rather have the better board, but for reference the worst VRM on a board I own is an X570 Ace, so take that for what you will. 

Edited by RONOTHAN##

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It depends on the specific GPU for whether it'll make a difference. For a 6500 XT it'll make a huge difference, for a 6600 (XT) it'll make a small difference (those are only x8 Gen 4), for something like a 3060 Ti it'll make no difference. 

Ah, i was talking about nvidia, sry. 

9 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

price difference

I can get a msi b450-a pro for 63 Euros, thats a lot cheaper than any b550 Board I found. 

19 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

What country are you buying in?

Germany 

20 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The only major consideration would be to get a motherboard that has a BIOS flash button. You definitely want a new motherboard with BIOS flashback

I have a r7 1700 which I can use for BIOS Updates, But thanks for the warning

21 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

However, for budget builds it is often beneficial to get a 12th gen Intel CPU

The 5600x is the same price as the 12400f. Since the User wont Upgrade the PC later on and Intel boards are more expensive (at least here), AMD makes more sense imho. 

5 minutes ago, Devryd said:

have a r7 1700 which I can use for BIOS Updates, But thanks for the warning

In which case I recommend:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/XJbCmG/msi-b450-a-pro-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-a-pro-max 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/BHBhP6/msi-b450-gaming-plus-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-plus-max

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/f7YmP6/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-ii-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max-ii

These are some good options. But @RONOTHAN## is right, often a B550 motherboard is within the budget for competitive features and better quality.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/sJM48d/asus-proart-b550-creator-atx-am4-motherboard-proart-b550-creator 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/4mjNnQ/asrock-b550-phantom-gaming-4-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-phantom-gaming-4

And these boards wouldn't have to worry about a BIOS update. (Although that also applies to the tomahawk Max II that I recommended, because MSI made it to be compatible with 5000 series specifically.)

I also recommend the 5600 instead of the 5600X for reduced cost and same performance, if applicable.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Devryd said:

I can get a msi b450-a pro for 63 Euros, thats a lot cheaper than any b550 Board I found. 

OK, that board is fine. As long as it's not 10-20 Euros less than a good B550 board I'd feel fine going with it.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Pretty sure the price of the ProArt is broken (if that board is actually 73 Euros then no question, get that board), and I'd rather have one of the MSI boards than that Phantom Gaming 4. MSI B450 boards like those were pretty solid, and the Phantom Gaming 4 is definitely not. Cheapest B550 board (who's price isn't broken) I'd actually be willing to recommend is the B550M Aorus Elite, and that's enough over the price of the MSI boards that they do make sense. 

11 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I also recommend the 5600 instead of the 5600X for reduced cost and same performance, if applicable.

At the moment, both chips cost exactly the same (195€)