Using other Modular SATA cables

Andrewxe
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,

You cannot mix modular cables from different power supplies. There's no standard for how the wires are arranged and it's pretty clear from your photo even just from the [missing] pins being in different places on the connector that they are not compatible. Using incompatible SATA power cables can kill anything you plug in to them, including hard drives. Does the HDD still work if you plug in the good cable or did you kill the drive by using the wrong cables?

16 minutes ago, Andrewxe said:

Is there any way I can re-purpose these two to be usable in my PSU?

You could use a depinning tool to remove the wires and repin them to match what the compatible cable. Use a multimeter on continuity mode and use the original cable and a guide that shows you which pins on the SATA connector are what to map out where 12V, 5V, 3.3V and ground wires go on the PSU side then copy that when you repin the other cable.

It looks as if the shapes of the connectors are different between the two connectors so they might not physically fit in the power supply socket, depending what the socket hole shapes are. The top middle shape near the tab is square on the left cables and D shaped on the right cable so if it's a D hole on the power supply then you shouldn't be able to fit the connector in the PSU... But there is a chance that the PSU is just using a square hole anyway which would take both D and square shaped pins.

I have Antec NE500M Semi Modular PSU 

The SATA cable pointed in blue arrow works (Hole in the middle)

1502849452_Screenshot2022-07-16193821.jpg.fb39cf4c2bcf232ca61f18f6f3e0e966.jpg

When I put the other two cables (hole at the bottom right) and plugged the sata in a HDD, it does not turn on.

It seems like the two cables are not compatible.

Those cables look like they have a different design too, the top middle pin in the two on the left doesn't have the two clipped corners. Are these cables from different PSUs? If they are, don't use them together. PSU cables are only meant to be used with the PSU they came with, and it's totally possible to damage components by switching cables.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

You cannot mix modular cables from different power supplies. There's no standard for how the wires are arranged and it's pretty clear from your photo even just from the [missing] pins being in different places on the connector that they are not compatible. Using incompatible SATA power cables can kill anything you plug in to them, including hard drives. Does the HDD still work if you plug in the good cable or did you kill the drive by using the wrong cables?

16 minutes ago, Andrewxe said:

You could use a depinning tool to remove the wires and repin them to match what the compatible cable. Use a multimeter on continuity mode and use the original cable and a guide that shows you which pins on the SATA connector are what to map out where 12V, 5V, 3.3V and ground wires go on the PSU side then copy that when you repin the other cable.

It looks as if the shapes of the connectors are different between the two connectors so they might not physically fit in the power supply socket, depending what the socket hole shapes are. The top middle shape near the tab is square on the left cables and D shaped on the right cable so if it's a D hole on the power supply then you shouldn't be able to fit the connector in the PSU... But there is a chance that the PSU is just using a square hole anyway which would take both D and square shaped pins.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 hours ago, Andrewxe said:

I have Antec NE500M Semi Modular PSU 

The SATA cable pointed in blue arrow works (Hole in the middle)

1502849452_Screenshot2022-07-16193821.jpg.fb39cf4c2bcf232ca61f18f6f3e0e966.jpg

When I put the other two cables (hole at the bottom right) and plugged the sata in a HDD, it does not turn on.

It seems like the two cables are not compatible.

You're lucky if you didn't fry a drive.