Flashing Pascal GPUs?

NecroFlex

I recently bought 2 cheap Tesla cards, the M40 24GB and the P100 16GB. I was able to modify the regestry to allow windows to see the M40 as a "high performance GPU" and was able to game on it. 980ti-ish performance.

The P100 is a bit more feisty, it seems that nvidia might have changed something, because the same trick doesn't seem to work for it.

So, i browsed around and saw that a..copy/paste version of this card exists, the Quadro GP100. The specs are the same apart from a higher boost on the Quadro card, the PCB is exactly the same apart from the video outputs missing on the Tesla.

So the question is, is it possible to flash the Quadro GP100 BIOS onto the Tesla P100 and then using it as a "high performance GPU" with windows, since the drivers would be different too?

That's about... 3 floors above my knowledge sealing 

I hope someone else here gets you some useful answers!

20 hours ago, Mel0nMan said:

You could do that. HOWEVER I don't recommend, because there's probably a reason that card is a Tesla, not a Quadro. (Die couldn't clock too high?)

The reason it's clocked lower is cause it's server greade and servers need reliability, not pure power with a chance of potential crashes. One of the reasons gaming GPUs clock that high, they don't need 100% stability nor do they run 24/7.

I just need windows to see it as a high performance GPU, that's all. Would nvflash be good enough or would i need to use my ch341?

1 minute ago, NecroFlex said:

The reason it's clocked lower is cause it's server greade and servers need reliability, not pure power with a chance of potential crashes. One of the reasons gaming GPUs clock that high, they don't need 100% stability nor do they run 24/7.

I just need windows to see it as a high performance GPU, that's all. Would nvflash be good enough or would i need to use my ch341?

NVFlash would probably be good enough, but you could fall back to a flasher if needed/if it gets corrupted. 

• 8 months later...

I know this thread is kind of old, but you would need a Tesla GRID driver 511.65

to make Windows 10 Pro or 11 see the card as high performance.

See starting at this post and work forward as there is also another way to do this depending on the type of display out that is in use.

Edit: this is how I found these post, doing research on flashing before moving forward.

I too am thinking of flashing to the Quadro GP100 even though I have the card working. Will try soon to mod the bios for testing.

18 hours ago, ABIT-Wolf said:

I know this thread is kind of old, but you would need a Tesla GRID driver 511.65

to make Windows 10 Pro or 11 see the card as high performance.

See starting at this post and work forward as there is also another way to do this depending on the type of display out that is in use.

Edit: this is how I found these post, doing research on flashing before moving forward.

I too am thinking of flashing to the Quadro GP100 even though I have the card working. Will try soon to mod the bios for testing.

Might be an old thread, but i'm happy you answered regardless! I basically put it on a shelf for potential later use, that use might come earlier than expected 😛

Tho i might go for what Linus did a while back, the "X gamers 1 CPU" type of thing, since Teslas there might make more sense, but will keep an eye on the thread you mentioned if you have luck with modifying the bios!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 3:50 PM, NecroFlex said:

Might be an old thread, but i'm happy you answered regardless! I basically put it on a shelf for potential later use, that use might come earlier than expected 😛

Tho i might go for what Linus did a while back, the "X gamers 1 CPU" type of thing, since Teslas there might make more sense, but will keep an eye on the thread you mentioned if you have luck with modifying the bios!

Hi, I haven't had much luck with the mod completing the flash.

Modding the vbios doesn't seem to be the problem, the sighing it after its done is.

There are a couple newer nvflash with check bypass, but I have been unable to get those to work so far.

Something I haven't tested either yet is the couple new commands I found in one of the nvflash versions.

To see if those actually work to change the mode to WDDM so the P100 can be used for gaming without other mods.

and this is possibly why we couldn’t change the mode the command was change again:
Set the GPU mode to graphics: nvflash [options] --gpumode graphics
Set the GPU mode to compute: nvflash [options] --gpumode compute

If it wasn't working so well the way I have it setup now I'd already tested those.

With my latest setup I've seen improvements in 3DMark Time Spy and Fire Strike scores.

Nothing huge, but none the less better. Time Spy for example score at best was 7056. Fire Strike:19075

Edit: Also now 3DMark has added NVIDIA TESLA P100 as per my request to them, as it wasn't a pick from the list of cards.

Last I checked I currently held #1 spot, but ATM I was the only one. lol

I don't expect it to stay there long as newer systems CPU/RAM / MB should do better.

The now score:

Screenshot_47.png

Screenshot_46.png

On 7/10/2022 at 5:22 PM, NecroFlex said:

I recently bought 2 cheap Tesla cards, the M40 24GB and the P100 16GB. I was able to modify the regestry to allow windows to see the M40 as a "high performance GPU" and was able to game on it. 980ti-ish performance.

The P100 is a bit more feisty, it seems that nvidia might have changed something, because the same trick doesn't seem to work for it.

So, i browsed around and saw that a..copy/paste version of this card exists, the Quadro GP100. The specs are the same apart from a higher boost on the Quadro card, the PCB is exactly the same apart from the video outputs missing on the Tesla.

So the question is, is it possible to flash the Quadro GP100 BIOS onto the Tesla P100 and then using it as a "high performance GPU" with windows, since the drivers would be different too?

This is above me, but sounds sick, i want in.