Help with network for Ukrainian refugees

Hi all you lovely people,

I know it’s a stretch but we are currently housing some refugees in a separate building on our premises and wanted to know if there were any businesses willing to provide a booster for them given the circumstances.

we have tried net gear but they have gone silent (we’re just looking for a yes or no) and avoided the question.

Our current bt boosters are cutting out causing intermittent connectivity at best for them and so we wondered if anyone had recommendations or were kind enough to provide a booster for us/ better options. (We are UK based)

Thanks in advance,

Joe

49 minutes ago, DissapointedMan123 said:

Hi all you lovely people,

I know it’s a stretch but we are currently housing some refugees in a separate building on our premises and wanted to know if there were any businesses willing to provide a booster for them given the circumstances.

we have tried net gear but they have gone silent (we’re just looking for a yes or no) and avoided the question.

Our current bt boosters are cutting out causing intermittent connectivity at best for them and so we wondered if anyone had recommendations or were kind enough to provide a booster for us/ better options. (We are UK based)

Thanks in advance,

Joe

Gets more specific than that.  Not everything will work.  Would need details of the situation both electronically and legally.  “Housing refugees in a separate building” could be good or bad.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@DissapointedMan123 please be a bit more specific with your request, are you asking for help in improving your setup or are you asking for help to acquire improvements to your setup?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Apologies, didn’t know how to phrase it. They are located in our pool house around 50 meters away from our router. Ideally we’d be wanting a booster that is able to reach that far. I don’t want to appear begging but if anyone knows of businesses who might be able to send us a booster free of charge that would be amazing. (I appreciate it is not a given that it will be free but any help is appreciated)

We do not have a phone line going into the pool house but there is electricity there 

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

Gets more specific than that.  Not everything will work.  Would need details of the situation both electronically and legally.  “Housing refugees in a separate building” could be good or bad.  

Not sure what you mean by legally I’m afraid. They have everything they need to live with electricity and heating (we have gone through the legal process of sponsoring them also that took 6 months). And we just want them to be able to have a stable and reliable internet connection that we currently cannot provide unfortunately 

13 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Wifi can easily reach 50 metres.

I’d have thought so too but our BT booster keep loosing connection

17 minutes ago, LWM723 said:

Have you considered a powerline ethernet adapter?

We had a line laid up there when we were having an extension however the electrician never pulled the cable through the house so it’s lost in the walls somewhere. Have been thinking about laying a armoured cable under the path to the pool house however routing it into the house would be difficult due to the router/phone line being in the centre of the house. Might do some more research for a temporary  solution for the time being. Thanks for the quick reply’s 🙂

You said there's electricity in the pool house. Then you can definitely use a powerline ethernet adapter.

4 hours ago, LWM723 said:

You said there's electricity in the pool house. Then you can definitely use a powerline ethernet adapter.

Depends.  Powerline ethernet doesn’t like junctions very much.  It’s likely worth a shot though.  If it’s a seperate service it won’t work.  It would want to be attached as close to either end of the line that goes from the house tho the pool as possible.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I’m afraid it is on a different circuit even through a different provider. I think my dad has decided to go with mesh now so I guess we’ll see (fingers crossed). Shame Net gear never replied. Thanks all for your suggestions