Changed RAM "optimized slots" slots and now PC won't boot!

fryedegg

Hi LTT Fam,

Just did a new build, had windows installed/updated along with most of my apps.  Was working great with no issues!

Build specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X  

MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS (bios version stock, can't see exact version now) 

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM (PC4-25600) 

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD with Heatsink 1TB PCIe Gen 4 NVMe 

EVGA SuperNOVA 850 T2 220-T2-0850-X1 80+ TITANIUM 850W

RTX 3050

Phanteks Eclipse P500A Case

On the the windows install restarts I was getting:

"Memory modules were found on non-optimized slot" and said I should move them.  So I figured what the heck, I'll move them to the slots it wants.

So went from slots 1&3(A1/B1) to 2&4(A2/B2) like it suggested.

Power back on, everything lights up/fans spinning and not booting...

I tried the previous RAM positions, 1 stick in every position... nada.

Only thing I can think of that I didn't do/possibly messed up was when I switched the RAM to the optimized slots I didn't unplug the power from PSU while I swapped the sticks around. The PC was completely shut down but I understand power is still running into the mobo and things can happen.

No power cables were jostled, nothing booped. Could swapping sticks around while it was plugged in fry something?  I build on an anti static mat and always touch the table/case/case metal before sticking my paws in there.

Kind of at a loss for what to do next.  Think this is my 8th build or so and never had anything like this happen.  Maybe I should reset the CMOS?  I have heard of that but never actually had to do it and am unsure if it will help.

Any ideas you all have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

Yes go with resetting the CMOS, test one stick in an optimized slot, once you can POST add the second and begin setting up the BIOS again such as DOCP / XMP etc

41 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Yes go with resetting the CMOS, test one stick in an optimized slot, once you can POST add the second and begin setting up the BIOS again such as DOCP / XMP etc

Thanks MrMase!  I will attempt in the morning.  I'm all out of fight for today.

How long have these "optimized slots been a thing?  I've always used slots 1&3 just by default.

Just now, fryedegg said:

How long have these "optimized slots been a thing?  I've always used slots 1&3 just by default.

1 and 3 are my defaults having been intel builds but when I did an AMD build it was 2 and 4 which caught me off guard

9 minutes ago, MrMase said:

1 and 3 are my defaults having been intel builds but when I did an AMD build it was 2 and 4 which caught me off guard

It's my 2nd AMD build but my last one used all 4 slots so 1st time this is coming up.

19 hours ago, fryedegg said:

So I cleared the CMOS and yolo'd it with both sticks in the optimized slots and it worked!

I missed the BIOS prompt initially and have been in windows setting up stuff and everything is working great!

So I need to enter into the BIOS and fiddle with anything still?  

19 minutes ago, fryedegg said:

So I cleared the CMOS and yolo'd it with both sticks in the optimized slots and it worked!

I missed the BIOS prompt initially and have been in windows setting up stuff and everything is working great!

So I need to enter into the BIOS and fiddle with anything still?  

Glad to hear that worked.

As far as the BIOS goes I would look to make the following changes as far as your system allows (adjust terminology as I mainly deal with ASUS)
- Enable XMP / DOCP for Memory overclocking

- Enable Above 4G Encoding

- Enable Resizable Bar

- Set CSM Disabled

- Check Secure Boot Enabled