PC will not load windows after upgrade from 2700x to 5900x

Hoss81

My PC has been working smoothly for a long while on the 2700x ryzen chip.

I scored a open box 5900x today from the local micro center and, as expected, it has ruined my day.

I have a Asus B450 F gaming mobo, 32GB G.Skill DDR3000, RTX 3080, and previously 2700x CPU.

Round 1:

I removed the 2700x and installed the 5900x.  Go to boot, and the mobo is giving me a DRAM yellow error light.  I know there is nothing wrong with the RAM, as it has worked for years.

I remove the 5900x and re-install the 2700x, manually check and update the BIOS.  The bios on the Mobo was from 2019, even though I had used Asus utility to check for updates right before I switched the chips the first time.

Round 2: I removed the 2700x and installed the 5900x a second time.  Go to boot, and I get a page message about fTPM.

'Press Y to reset fTPM. If you have Bitlocker or encryption enabled, the system will not boot without a recovery key.

Press N to keep previous fTPM record and continue system boot. fTPM will not enable in new CPU, you can swap back to the old CPU to recover TPM related keys and data'

I select N and the system reboots back to that same menu, select N again and it does the same.  Hit Y, and the system reboots and I get to the windows menu.........for a split second, then it goes back to the ASUS ROG mobo background.  From here, it is stuck in a loop, going back and forth between the ROG mobo background and 1-2 seconds of the windows loading screen, and then it resets.  Turn the computer off by holding the power button, turn it back on, load optimized defaults on the mobo, and the next error I get is a MBR Error 1.

Round 3: Turn the PC off, unplug all of my SATA drives (OS is on my M.2 drive), turn back on, and now I'm stuck in the windows/ROG mobo background loop once again.

I'm at a loss at this point.  I have enough thermal paste for 1 more application, so I'm tempted to throw the 2700x back in and see if it will at least work like it did before for the night.  I next day ordered some more thermal paste off of Amazon, will try it again over the long weekend.

Anybody have any suggestions on what to try next?

The thought has crossed my head that it's a bad 5900x (Hence the return to Microcenter) and that is what is causing the problems.

Changing CPUs will clear fTPM keys and also clears CMOS. Make sure you enable UEFI boot, disabling CSM and enabling secure boot. After that it should boot, if that all that is stopping it.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Sadly still no dice on this.  I can get to the BIOS, but the machine will just not start windows.

On ASUS UEFI Bios Utility I have these settings

20220705_173010.jpg

20220705_173024.jpg

20220705_172957.jpg

20220705_172923.jpg

On 7/1/2022 at 10:35 PM, Hoss81 said:

installed the 5900x a second time.  Go to boot, and I get a page message about fTPM.

have you reloaded default setting after your BIOS update? sometimes you need to do that. 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

Turn Launch CSM from auto to off

Clear Secure Boot Keys, powercycle and see if it works.

If not boot back to bios, clear keys, turn off secureboot and tpm, save and reboot.  boot straight back to bios and turn it back on. save and see if it works

• 2 weeks later...

My saga continues.  I've been building PCs since the early 00s and I've never been this close to taking it to someone to fix.  I'm just lost.

For a brief recap:

Purchased open box 5900x from microcenter.  Had 2700x and Asus B450 mobo that had been working great for about 18 months.  Turned it off, swapped chips, turned it back on and it wouldn't boot.  Put the 2700x back in, and it booted, and I checked the firmware, turns out it needed updated.  I updated the firmware, restarted to make sure it took, then turned off the system and swapped CPUs again.

On the next boot I got a TPM error, I hit No on the options and it rebooted a few times, ultimately taking me back to the BIOS.  I hit YES on the same Tpm error screen (no, I don't remember the error) and then it got stuck in a boot loop.  I'd see the windows loading screen for a few seconds and then it would restart.  Out the 2700x back in, and was getting a red CPU error on the mobo.

Fast forward to today, I picked up a 570 MSI board on Prime day.  Spent all morning undoing cable management and zip ties, then putting the new board in.  Start it up and it's doing basically the same thing.  

Bios will load, but then it just gets stuck in a boot loop.  

So, running out of ideas I formatted my M.2 drive that had the OS on it, and created a windows boot USB drive.  Once again, I'm just stuck in this non stop boot loop.

I am completely out of ideas at this point.  I have followed all of the suggestions and it's gotten me nowhere.

Should I try purchasing another CPU?  Should I buy a new M.2 and see if that solves it?  I've never had any issue like this so I don't know what to do.  Was really hoping the new Motherboard and formatting the M.2 would get me somewhere.  

20220716_123552.jpg

20220716_123604.jpg

20220716_123613.jpg

20220716_123648.jpg