I want to upgrade my gpu, but am afraid of bottlenecks. I would like to get the most out of a gpu upgrade. Can someone help?

My cpu is a i7 9800x, a rare one that most people disliked when it got released. I plan to keep this cpu for one more cycle (or until it dies) so I want to only upgrade my gpu for now.

My current gpu is a gtx 1070 and I wanted to upgrade to a 3070, but after seeing some benchmarks the 3060ti is often times double as good as the 1070 already, so that's plenty of an upgrade since I play on 1080p only.

Do you guys think that if I would buy one of these cards my cpu would be the bottleneck? And if so, would it be a big one?

It should be fine. The 9800X should be roughly about she same performance as a 9900K (slightly worse since it's clocked a bit lower out of the box), so with a decent overclock it'll do just fine. There are faster single threaded chips out there, but nothing crazy. 

5 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It should be fine. The 9800X should be roughly about she same performance as a 9900K (slightly worse since it's clocked a bit lower out of the box), so with a decent overclock it'll do just fine. There are faster single threaded chips out there, but nothing crazy. 

I don't overclock. still fine?

1 minute ago, superfantastic said:

I don't overclock. still fine?

It's still likely fine, but you really should overclock that chip. That was the main advantage of that CPU for general consumers, it was a 9900K with the better memory topology and VRMs found on X299. 

44 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It's still likely fine, but you really should overclock that chip. That was the main advantage of that CPU for general consumers, it was a 9900K with the better memory topology and VRMs found on X299. 

I can't overclock it, it's already around 80 degrees on high load as it is. I only have money for a budget or mid range gpu upgrade so I can't invest in a better cooling solution

5 minutes ago, superfantastic said:

I can't overclock it, it's already around 80 degrees on high load as it is. I only have money for a budget or mid range gpu upgrade so I can't invest in a better cooling solution

Fair enough, though a cooling upgrade so you can would be the next upgrade I'd personally make. 

16 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Fair enough, though a cooling upgrade so you can would be the next upgrade I'd personally make. 

Would that really make a big difference? When I switched from a i5 7640x to the i7 9800x I barely saw any gains when playing. Benchmarks I did in games like AC odyssey showed a measly 2 fps gain. Probably because my gpu was already pushed to the limit before the upgrade? The only big difference was when playing guild wars 2, as with the i5 the cpu was at 100% load and made my pc very slow, could barely have my browser on together with the game lol.

I was thinking that after this gpu upgrade, I will use the pc as is for another 2 or so years or until the cpu fails, and then do a complete upgrade with a new motherboard that supports something like a 12700k.

Sorry for rant

6 hours ago, superfantastic said:

Would that really make a big difference? When I switched from a i5 7640x to the i7 9800x I barely saw any gains when playing. Benchmarks I did in games like AC odyssey showed a measly 2 fps gain. Probably because my gpu was already pushed to the limit before the upgrade? The only big difference was when playing guild wars 2, as with the i5 the cpu was at 100% load and made my pc very slow, could barely have my browser on together with the game lol.

I was thinking that after this gpu upgrade, I will use the pc as is for another 2 or so years or until the cpu fails, and then do a complete upgrade with a new motherboard that supports something like a 12700k.

Sorry for rant

The thing is a new cooler like an AK620 that will handle a bit of overclocking isn't that expensive (~$50) and should give a roughly 10% performance uplift for that chip when overclocked. Plus that new cooler will be able to be carried over to your new system so it's not like you're wasting money on it, you'll need a better cooling systtem for your next computer anyway.