Steam 3.0

Would steam os 3.0 be a good, reliable and recommendable os to replace windows for gaming and productivity like streaming and video editing?

Only if the software you want to use works.

Not guaranteed.

4 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

reliable and recommendable

Nope, not those, especially if you have no prior knowledge of how gnu/linux based operating systems work.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, whispous said:

Only if the software you want to use works.

Not guaranteed.

Saw a video on yt of a guy saying that it can basically run any windows program through steam on proton layer

1 minute ago, Hendricks3 said:

Saw a video on yt of a guy saying that it can basically run any windows program through steam on proton layer

Well unforunately that's not true. It's a mixed bag of results.

1 minute ago, whispous said:

Well unforunately that's not true. It's a mixed bag of results.

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

Proton is a huge step forwards in compatibility and easier configuration for running Windows software.

It does not work well with EVERY game, and for some does not work at all.

Here's a third party website that maintains a list of games that a re reported to work, and some that are reported to be "playable" rather than be perfect.

https://www.protondb.com/

6 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

Care to elaborate?

You can run a lot of windows things on linux.
Of the things that run, many are hacky and buggy and quirky and unstable. Think alt+tabbing causing a game to just fully lock up and crash. Game can be 99.9% stable outside of this. Also getting mods to work will be its own adventure.

There are some things that just won't run. Or they will run... after hours and hours and hours of tweaking and tuning. And your configuration will likely be just a bit different from others' so online searches will be hit or miss.

If you want to get a feel for things, buy a cheap 256GB SSD off of ebay for like $25ish (used intel drives tend to work alright) and then plop either SteamOS, Ubuntu, Mint or PopOS onto the thing and see how well it works. I'm typing this in Ubuntu. Most stuff is fine. I haven't tried running photoshop, that's always kind of... ehh.

Ohh also, plan on having to learn a bunch of stuff just to use your computer half normally.

I still haven't gotten around to getting CyberPunk 2077 to work. Maybe I bought it from the wrong game store... things on Steam DO work a bit easier in general.

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800

2 minutes ago, whispous said:

Proton is a huge step forwards in compatibility and easier configuration for running Windows software.

It does not work well with EVERY game, and for some does not work at all.

Here's a third party website that maintains a list of games that a re reported to work, and some that are reported to be "playable" rather than be perfect.

https://www.protondb.com/

What about programs rather then games?

Just now, Hendricks3 said:

What about programs rather then games?

Well which software do you want to find out about with proton? There is no "yes or no" answer to "does software work with proton". It's on a case-by-case basis.

1 minute ago, whispous said:

Well which software do you want to find out about with proton? There is no "yes or no" answer to "does software work with proton". It's on a case-by-case basis.

For now obs and davinci

For now obs and davinci

Both of those have native linux versions, and don't require you to install the windows version using a compatibility layer.

Touche what about games that require an external launchers?

Just now, Hendricks3 said:

Touche what about games that require an external launchers?

It's a case-by-case basis.

So when will linux or macos for that matter be able to dethrone windows for gaming support

34 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

For now obs and davinci

Both OBS and Davinci have native Linux version. No need proton for those 2 but for Davinci you need to rely on Arch User Repository  (AUR) or you need to compile it yourself.

22 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

So when will linux or macos for that matter be able to dethrone windows for gaming support

*Soon™

kekw

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 6/30/2022 at 2:19 AM, Levent said:

Nope, not those, especially if you have no prior knowledge of how gnu/linux based operating systems work.

Not necessarily true.