Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrade to i9

I have an Asus Tuf B450 PLUS Gaming mobo with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.  I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 9 5900X (Vermeer), not sure if Vermeer means anything?  It's in the Asus compatibility list for my board so assuming it will be OK.  I have a few questions.

  • Will I notice a difference?  System has an nvme drive and 32gb ddr 4 memory, used for office work, netflix etc. and some gaming.  I suppose I'm asking is it worth the cash.  CPU is abour £350 or $430 but I can wait to see if it comes down.
  • If I go for it do I need a bios upgrade?
  • If so, before or after install?
  • Would I need a different cooler? Not sure what is there currently.
  • This is a B mobo so I think it's mid-range, would I be better looking at an X?

Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does the thread title say i9 when this is all about AMD hardware?

 

Vermeer is the codename for the Zen 3 microarchitecture (Ryzen 5xxx series). 

 

7 minutes ago, tmarsh12345 said:
  • Will I notice a difference? 

Yes, but you also probably would with a 5600. Whether you would notice a difference between a 5600 and a 5900X for your tasks... eh.

 

7 minutes ago, tmarsh12345 said:
  • If I go for it do I need a bios upgrade?

 

Yes.

 

7 minutes ago, tmarsh12345 said:
  • If so, before or after install?

Before.

 

7 minutes ago, tmarsh12345 said:
  • Would I need a different cooler? Not sure what is there currently.

 

If you're using the stock AMD Wraith Stealth cooler, then yes. 

 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you notice a difference?  Maybe.

 

(Vermeer is the series of CPU / the Code Name for it from Development.)

 

Depends on what's running.  Netflix?  HAH, no.  Gaming?  Maybe? Office work - depends on what's running.

 

BIOS Update:  Probably yes, and before you install a new CPU

 

New Cooler?  Depends on what your cooler is.  

 

B450 is fine for a 5900X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, tmarsh12345 said:

I have an Asus Tuf B450 PLUS Gaming mobo with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.  I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 9 5900X (Vermeer), not sure if Vermeer means anything?  It's in the Asus compatibility list for my board so assuming it will be OK.  I have a few questions.

  • Will I notice a difference?  System has an nvme drive and 32gb ddr 4 memory, used for office work, netflix etc. and some gaming.  I suppose I'm asking is it worth the cash.  CPU is abour £350 or $430 but I can wait to see if it comes down.
  • If I go for it do I need a bios upgrade?
  • If so, before or after install?
  • Would I need a different cooler? Not sure what is there currently.
  • This is a B mobo so I think it's mid-range, would I be better looking at an X?

Thanks in advance.

better look at 12700k its better then 5950x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bal723 said:

better look at 12700k its better then 5950x

 

It is, but he would also need to buy a new board for it, and not a cheap one either. 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Middcore said:

 

It is, but he would also need to buy a new board for it, and not a cheap one either.

 he can toss it into b660m ones

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bal723 said:

 he can toss it into b660m ones

 

Not a great idea in the case of a lot of those boards. 

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bal723 said:

 he can toss it into b660m ones

most of them wont handle it well, some do, but they are more expensive, and also 12700k is not 200dollars worth better than 5950x, 

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

 

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

 

Tier lists for building a PC.

 

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

 

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

 

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

 

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

 

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

 

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, bal723 said:

better look at 12700k its better then 5950x

I am looking at the 5900X, the 5950X is way more expensive, currently £506 or $655

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tmarsh12345 said:

I have an Asus Tuf B450 PLUS Gaming mobo with a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU.  I'm thinking of upgrading to a Ryzen 9 5900X (Vermeer), not sure if Vermeer means anything?  It's in the Asus compatibility list for my board so assuming it will be OK.  I have a few questions.

  • Will I notice a difference?  System has an nvme drive and 32gb ddr 4 memory, used for office work, netflix etc. and some gaming.  I suppose I'm asking is it worth the cash.  CPU is abour £350 or $430 but I can wait to see if it comes down.
  • If I go for it do I need a bios upgrade?
  • If so, before or after install?
  • Would I need a different cooler? Not sure what is there currently.
  • This is a B mobo so I think it's mid-range, would I be better looking at an X?

Thanks in advance.

get the Ryzen 7 5800X3D

PC SPECS:

Cpu: Ryzen 9 5900X. Mobo: Asus rog strix x570 gaming F. Gpu: Asus rog strix Rtx 2080 super. Ram: 4x8 (32GB) cl16 3600 Corsair vengence rgb pro

Cooler: Asus rog strix Lc 360 Rgb. Psu: Evga super nova 1000watt. Monitor: Asus rog swift PG279QM

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies, it's been really helpful.  Just two more questions

  • After I update to the new bios I'm assuming I will have to re-boot for it to take effect?  Do I then shut down and install the new CPU?  I suppose what I'm asking is will the new bios still operate the PC with the old CPU?
  • Currently I get the BIOS from the Asus site, I access it by putting my model no in.  How would I know where to get the new BIOS?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, tmarsh12345 said:

 

  • Currently I get the BIOS from the Asus site, I access it by putting my model no in.  How would I know where to get the new BIOS?

The exact same place? The Asus product page for your board has every BIOS revision for it ever released.

Your "PC master race" thing is cringe. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tmarsh12345 said:

Thanks for all the replies, it's been really helpful.  Just two more questions

  • After I update to the new bios I'm assuming I will have to re-boot for it to take effect?  Do I then shut down and install the new CPU?  I suppose what I'm asking is will the new bios still operate the PC with the old CPU?
  • Currently I get the BIOS from the Asus site, I access it by putting my model no in.  How would I know where to get the new BIOS?

If you've updated your BIOS in the past year, check your version vs the website, it'll tell you if that version supports the 5000X series.  It probably will.  

(The 3000 and 5000 chips should be supported on the same BIOS versions.  The 2000 and older may not be anymore.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks again.  Current BIOS is 3802 @ 2022/05/12.  It says under compatibility "Validated since BIOS 2409" which is an older version so I guess the 3802 is all I need?  I should be able to slot the CPU in without updating?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×