How can I add "Miracast" to my pre-built?

Flux Azreal
Go to solution Solved by Mayday793,

What i can tell you is that you DO need extra hardware for your case. Miracast is essentially just branded wifi direct and that is built of the wi-fi standard, so you need to have a wifi pcie card or USB dongle connected to your PC. the problem is finding one that supports wifi direct
 Once you purchase it and install the device in your desktop you can check the device in command prompt to see if it supports the feature.
more explained here:
https://superuser.com/questions/904415/how-can-i-tell-if-a-device-supports-wi-fi-direct
They suggest looking at the official wifi page here to see if the device you want is supported but it doesnt really give any devices on there for you to check.
https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=default&sort_order=desc&categories=1&subcategories=3&capabilities=100

My suggestion would be to find a device somewhere that somebody has verified has wifi direct and then buy that one. Looking at the one you listed my bet is that it doesnt support wifi direct because it looks like it uses some rando third party wifi chip on it by Fenvi. If theres any chance of it working it should have one from Broadcom, Intel or Realtek since those are the best wifi chip providers.  USES AN INTEL CHIPSET! it uses this:
https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6e-ax210-module-brief.html

So I'm trying to mirror my PC's screen to my Roku stick, but windows said that my computer doesn't have "Miracast", I've been doing some googling but I can't figure out what Miracast is exactly. I thought screen mirroring just required you to be on the same network to the device you're mirroring to, and itll send screen data to the device, apparently Miracast is required. So is Miracast like something on my motherboard or something? And can I just plug in a wireless adaptor and i'll have miracast? I was planning on getting this adapter but I don't know if it needs to specify it has miracast, or if it's just another name for wifi or something. https://www.newegg.com/fenvi-fv-axe3000-pci-express/p/0XM-00JK-000A1

That's Wifi6, which may or may not do it directly. But here are some search results on the subject... Personally, I think you might try a ScreenBeam stick like I have, but I've never used it for anything but my tablet and phone.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=iba&hsimp=yhs-3&type=sdff_9527_FFW_ZZ&grd=1&p=miracast+or+screencast+through+wifi

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Might be worth considering what you want to mirror the screen for first.   I've never been happy with the picture quality or latency myself so I'd definitely not be investing money into getting something which might not be good enough for your usage purposes.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

5 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Might be worth considering what you want to mirror the screen for first.   I've never been happy with the picture quality or latency myself so I'd definitely not be investing money into getting something which might not be good enough for your usage purposes.

Yeahh, I heard it's an abandoned tech, but I don't know any other option I can use to mirror my screen to my TV, aside from using a cable which is unpracticle. I just wished it used lan and some h264 encoding or something. I mainly just wanted to use it for general purpose like editing documents, or watching movies. Honestly i'm not too picky about the quality since I'd rather just be in bed then sitting in a chair for 2 hours

Miracast is a driver on windows to enable screen mirroring.
Try disabling firewall.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Miracast is a driver on windows to enable screen mirroring.
Try disabling firewall.

I just tried that, doesn't change anything. Windows still says my device doesn't support Miracast, I think I need some sort of adapter. I don't have wifi on my computer, I use ethernet to access the internet. When I was building a PC I didn't know I needed it, thats why i'm trying to see which I should buy, or what to look for in a product.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/miracast-on-win-10.html

miracast is build in windows 10, you dont need extra hardware, check that article for troubleshooting.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

What i can tell you is that you DO need extra hardware for your case. Miracast is essentially just branded wifi direct and that is built of the wi-fi standard, so you need to have a wifi pcie card or USB dongle connected to your PC. the problem is finding one that supports wifi direct
 Once you purchase it and install the device in your desktop you can check the device in command prompt to see if it supports the feature.
more explained here:
https://superuser.com/questions/904415/how-can-i-tell-if-a-device-supports-wi-fi-direct
They suggest looking at the official wifi page here to see if the device you want is supported but it doesnt really give any devices on there for you to check.
https://www.wi-fi.org/product-finder-results?sort_by=default&sort_order=desc&categories=1&subcategories=3&capabilities=100

My suggestion would be to find a device somewhere that somebody has verified has wifi direct and then buy that one. Looking at the one you listed my bet is that it doesnt support wifi direct because it looks like it uses some rando third party wifi chip on it by Fenvi. If theres any chance of it working it should have one from Broadcom, Intel or Realtek since those are the best wifi chip providers.  USES AN INTEL CHIPSET! it uses this:
https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/en/products/docs/wireless/wi-fi-6e-ax210-module-brief.html

I actually looked at your product further and nevermind! it has a intel chipset on it! 
it uses and intel 6E AX210 gig :
if you click that link and ctrl F "DIRECT" then you can see it supports wifi direct. 
You can also ctrl F "miracast" to see that its explicitly supported as well.

13 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

I actually looked at your product further and nevermind! it has a intel chipset on it! 
it uses and intel 6E AX210 gig :
if you click that link and ctrl F "DIRECT" then you can see it supports wifi direct. 
You can also ctrl F "miracast" to see that its explicitly supported as well.

Thank you soo much! You helped a bunch ❤️ 

3 hours ago, Flux Azreal said:

I mainly just wanted to use it for general purpose like editing documents, or watching movies

Movies will be OK although quality might be too low to appreciate, but editing documents... it's not fun when you move the mouse and have to wait half a second to see where it's gone. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

15 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Movies will be OK although quality might be too low to appreciate, but editing documents... it's not fun when you move the mouse and have to wait half a second to see where it's gone. 

Indeed, though there may be a way to use Stream in-home streaming to do this, though not to a Roku AFAIK.

With an NVIDIA GPU you can stream to a ShieldTV.

Never found another solution comparable to those two.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

On 6/29/2022 at 7:44 PM, Alex Atkin UK said:

Indeed, though there may be a way to use Stream in-home streaming to do this, though not to a Roku AFAIK.

With an NVIDIA GPU you can stream to a ShieldTV.

Never found another solution comparable to those two.

Honestly i'm waiting for a new ShieldTV model to be released, I feel like the second I buy one theres going to be a new one thats cheaper and better lol, but I never knew it could capture the entire desktop! Thats awesome, more reason to buy one.

6 hours ago, Flux Azreal said:

Honestly i'm waiting for a new ShieldTV model to be released, I feel like the second I buy one theres going to be a new one thats cheaper and better lol, but I never knew it could capture the entire desktop! Thats awesome, more reason to buy one.

Officially it doesn't, but can cheat by adding something like notepad to the games list and start game streaming.