Will upgrading to faster SSD make Windows faster?

faantaa
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

The difference will be very small, likely not noticeable. There are lots of sata vs nvme benchmarks if you want to see how big of a gap you were expecting.

So I have currently got a 512GB M.2 SSD by Crucial with read speeds up to 560MB/s as main drive and where my Windows is installed on. But I just got a new SSD as I wanted more storage, Samsung M.2 970 EVO Plus 2TB with advertised read speeds of 3500MB/s.

So my questions is, will moving Windows to this new hard drive going to have any meaningful impact of how fast my computer is going to be? Like Windows startup time, launching programs etc. I have a lot of settings set on my machine and I don't really want to make a reinstallation of Windows if not necessary. I know that going from a slow HDD to a SSD is a huge difference, but what about going from a fast SSD to an even faster SSD? Is there any noticeable real life difference if I use one or the other as a main drive when doing normal tasks on a computer? 

One is a SATA M2 and other is a NVME M2. If you have an older system (6th gen intel and older) you better make sure your system supports NVME and booting off NVMEs. Other than that, I upgraded from a SATA ssd to NVME and couldn't tell the difference in windows.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

One is a SATA M2 and other is a NVME M2. If you have an older system (6th gen intel and older) you better make sure your system supports NVME and booting off NVMEs. Other than that, I upgraded from a SATA ssd to NVME and couldn't tell the difference in windows.

Ok, that's very good to know. That will save me a lot of time not having to reinstall Windows. I had no idea about the NVME support, I quickly checked and luckily my motherboard seem to support it. 

Sata II vs Sata III SSD is perceptible. Beyond that. Not so much. Its reduced latency that makes Windows + SSD feel faster. Not more throughput.