I think I have a faulty power supply

Go to solution Solved by --SID--,

Pretty bad motherboard for a 5950X. Weak VRM can cause issues. Get a decent B550 MB for that CPU.

Hello, I just recently upgraded my system. And now when I run test that causes my cpu to go to 100% my pc will shut off after about 5 mins depending on the clock.

These are the OLD specs 

Motherboard: b450m pro4

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (overclocked to 3.9)

Ram: 32 GBs (don’t know the name)

GPU: GeForce 1650 super (overclocked 200mbs)

PSU: evga 500 wat 80+ bronze

These are the NEW specs 

Motherboard: b450m pro4

CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x (base clock 3.4 can’t go high probably need to go lower like 2.9 to run a test.)

Ram: same ram

GPU: Amd rx 6900 XT (not overclocked but would like to.)

PSU: evga supernova 1300 wat 80+ gold

Fans: 10 120mm fans and a water cooler pump for cpu.

So to sum this up my problem that I think I have is when I don’t run all the fans at full speed I get high temps and these are rgb fans not sure if that matter. But when I run them at full speed with all base clocks on the new system it will somehow make the system restart after about 5 mins but it only does it at 100%. But when I make the fans only work when they need to it is fine. So I don’t know if I don’t have enough power or if my psu is messed up. And the psu is brand new and the fan on it makes this bad noise so don’t think it is a problem but it sure doesn’t sound good. So what do you guys think?

It sounds like something is overheating your fine with 1300W (if it is not defective) its probably maxing out under 750.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

What are all your specs? Ram brand, fans brand. Did you fit everything yourself?

17 minutes ago, ewitte said:

It sounds like something is overheating your fine with 1300W (if it is not defective) its probably maxing out under 750.

What could be over heating then, becuase cou doesn’t get over 70c under load unless you think the motherboard could be overheating. Becuase gpu doesn’t go about 70c. So unless it is the ram maybe

17 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

What are all your specs? Ram brand, fans brand. Did you fit everything yourself?

Yea everything is fitted by me, and I am not home but I will try and find the ram brand.

Also will 1300 wat be enough even at fully overclocked on both cpu and gpu

Ram: GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Memory

is it possible one of my drives are overheating?

also the pc never turns completely off it just restarts and then goes back to sign in screen

What are all your specs? Ram brand, fans brand. Did you fit everything yourself?  You may need to remount your CPU cooler.

Can you post a pic of your pc when your at home?

10 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

What are all your specs? Ram brand, fans brand. Did you fit everything yourself?  You may need to remount your CPU cooler.

Can you post a pic of your pc when your at home?

I won’t be home till Sunday. I posted all specs at top and then the ram specs which is 4 sticks of the same ram. Yes everything is fitted by myself. And the pc is laying down and the cooler is laying on the top above all the other fans. With those fans all going the same direction 

Pretty bad motherboard for a 5950X. Weak VRM can cause issues. Get a decent B550 MB for that CPU.

44 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Didn’t think of that, what one do you think would be the best or at least good enough for overclocking?