Windows 10 key in VM

VGER

Hello,

I'm running a PC that came with Windows 10 installed. The installation was fully activated and valid.

I have since reinstalled this PC with Proxmox, overwriting the Windows partition. Now I would like to have Windows running in a virtual machine on this host, but Windows can't activate. I don't have a key, it was using "BIOS activation".

My mistake was that although I did start up the preinstalled Windows once and connected it to a Microsoft account (to backup the activation), I failed to update Windows first. And the non-updated Windows version didn't do the activation backup to the MS cloud yet. 😞

I do have a disk image of the Windows partition. The obvious solution would be to restore this image, update Windows, perform the activation backup to the MS account, then reverse everything. But I don't want to do all that.

Does anyone know of a shorter way? Can I somehow retrieve the files required from the backup of the Windows partition?

Regards

If your Windows licence is OEM then you can't move it to another PC (I bet Windows would see the VM as a whole new system) as far as I know. A shorter way would be to buy a licence or just ignore the watermark.

3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

(I bet Windows would see the VM as a whole new system)

Yes a VM is seen as a completely different computer.

OEM licensees are intended for single use only and are usually non transferable. If your intent is to only use Windows in a vm then you could try contacting MS support and see if they will issue a new license (don't mention your intention of running in a vm 🤣)

No, that's not the problem: You can transfer such a license, all you need to do is backup the license to the Microsoft account, then select it on the new device. You'll get a menu choice "I have changed hardware", confirm, done.

But the license needs to be in your MS account for this to work. That's my problem - mine isn't.

Regards