"rcbottom.sys" causing system interrupts and high cpu load on one core - update or can I remove?

fatp1ngu
Go to solution Solved by fatp1ngu,

This is now resolved. Feel stupid at how easy it was in the end.

In Device Manager saw that the Storage Controller was a StoreMI one. Went to Update Driver > From Local Files > Selected the Standard AHCI one and thats it.

Reboot and fixed. Thanks for the help throughout

Hello,

I have been experiencing issues with very high CPU load on one core/thread and its constantly pinned to almost 100% in Task Manager:

https://imgur.com/GoRZHT

I was able to use Process Explorer to see what was running on the core to cause the constant load. This showed me it is System Interrupts:

https://imgur.com/0cqtLkh

Tried updating drivers, removed all USB devices one at a time to see if went down but nothing. Ran Windows Performance Recorder and then Windows Performance Analyser which shows that rcbottom.sys is the one causing the interrupts:

https://imgur.com/Fvz9JMD

I do not use RAID (at least not consciously, I've never set it up) and my specs are:

Type Hardware
CPU AMD Ryzen 5900X
Memory 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz C16
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE
GPU EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3 Ultra 10G
PSU Corsair RM850 (2021) - 850W
Main boot drive Kioxia LTC10Z480GG8 EXCERIA 480 GB 2.5 Inch SSD
HDD Storage Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200 RPM
NVME (for games) Kingston 1TB A2000 M2 NVMe SSD
Operating System Windows 11 Pro - Version 21H2
  OS Build: 22000.739

The question I have is - can I remove rcbottom.sys or can I update it? I installed the AMD RAID Utility from my Motherboard's drivers here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver

I hoped that would update the driver maybe, but nothing has improved.

If i set the SATA controller to RAID in BIOS but don't set it up any other way as RAID, just flip that switch; will it cause issues as a test to fix?

The constant load is hurting in games, temps etc. so if I could fix it, it would be great. Any help is much appreciated.

cpu draw.jpeg

Interrupts.jpeg

rcbottom.jpeg

rcbottom is a RAID driver so you don't need it if you don't have RAID..  Go ahead and uninstall all RAID software of your PC.

5 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

rcbottom is a RAID driver so you don't need it if you don't have RAID..  Go ahead and uninstall all RAID software of your PC.

Thank you - just to make sure I understand, is it ok for me to go ahead and find the rcbottom.sys file in System32 and delete it?

Really appreciate the help!

Just now, fatp1ngu said:

Thank you - just to make sure I understand, is it ok for me to go ahead and find the rcbottom.sys file in System32 and delete it?

Try Autoruns from Sysinternals (available in MS store as part of the Sysinternals suite), it will allow you to uncheck the driver to disable, or check to re enable, rather than deleting it and possibly causing an issue. Re boot after disabling it.

12 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Try Autoruns from Sysinternals (available in MS store as part of the Sysinternals suite), it will allow you to uncheck the driver to disable, or check to re enable, rather than deleting it and possibly causing an issue. Re boot after disabling it.

Should cause no issue if he is not running any RAID.

15 minutes ago, fatp1ngu said:

Uninstall RAID software. Don't just delete it.

43 minutes ago, DigitalGoat said:

Caused issues booting with a BSOD everytime Stop code: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE until Windows did a repair and I guess turned it back on because it would then boot, but rcbottom.sys was running again and had the same high usage etc.

29 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Uninstall RAID software. Don't just delete it.

Tried uninstalling everything I can find thats RAID but no luck so far. Might try a clean Windows install and see if it fixes the issue

3 hours ago, fatp1ngu said:

Caused issues booting with a BSOD everytime Stop code: INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE until Windows did a repair and I guess turned it back on because it would then boot, but rcbottom.sys was running again and had the same high usage etc.

Tried uninstalling everything I can find thats RAID but no luck so far. Might try a clean Windows install and see if it fixes the issue

Then there are other drivers/ support files/ systems dependent on that driver, I suggest you look on AMD's user forums (RAID or drive sections specifically) to see how to proceed.

It use to be the case that when installing Windows on a board with AMD chipset RAID you had to install 3 specific RAID drivers, in a particular order using F6 during setup.

I have never used an AMD system so am unsure if this is still the case, maybe it is built into Windows setup now or the BIOS similar to Intel RST? Maybe you would need to disable RAID in BIOS to prevent the drivers being loaded, again a guess, you really need help from someone more knowledgeable with AMD devices.

I will look to ask elsewhere on an AMD forum then. The clean install made no difference, but at least I can rule it out.

Thanks for all of your help

In Device Manager saw that the Storage Controller was a StoreMI one. Went to Update Driver > From Local Files > Selected the Standard AHCI one and thats it.

11 hours ago, DigitalGoat said:

It use to be the case that when installing Windows on a board with AMD chipset RAID you had to install 3 specific RAID drivers, in a particular order using F6 during setup.

I have never used an AMD system so am unsure if this is still the case, maybe it is built into Windows setup now or the BIOS similar to Intel RST? Maybe you would need to disable RAID in BIOS to prevent the drivers being loaded, again a guess, you really need help from someone more knowledgeable with AMD devices.

First enable RAID, then ready the drives and make array and you're ready to boot to the Windows installer.

Next you have to load rcbottom, rccfg and rcraid at the screen where you choose where to install Windows by clicking load driver button or it can't see your raid only the individual drives. I put my RAID drivers on my Windows install media so I have an easier time.

8 hours ago, fatp1ngu said:

Makes sense that StoreMi uses RAID drivers. Good find and you're welcome. 🙂