CPU Temps Way Too High and AIO Not Outputting Heat

BurntIce06

I've been having some trouble with my CPU temps. Everytime I play a game or hit it with a load, the CPU temps jump up to 70C and it seems like the AIO is not outputting any heat. Currently I have a i7-10700k OC and its attached to a Lian Le Galahad 360 AIO. I feel like a 360 AIO should be plenty of cooling for my CPU but whenever I put my hand near the AIO, there's barely any heat coming out. And when I go to touch one of the tubes, they are crazy hot. Even when fans are at a 100% nothing changes. Also the heat seems to be coming out of the top of the radiator/near the pipes (I have the AIO mounted vertically with the pipes at the top). The AIO doesn't seem to be using the bottom half of the radiator because I feel no heat coming out there.

I'm not sure if this is even a problem but I feel like my CPU temps are way to high especially with the AIO I have.

image.thumb.png.322599b7f0cda9469516b7542b2e4431.png20220624_150139.thumb.jpg.0e0d81d1feba9425ef4233895eb7207c.jpg

Pump seems to work, not sure about your fan setup, you have 3 +2 fans it seems, do they blow the same way ?? 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

1 hour ago, BurntIce06 said:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.322599b7f0cda9469516b7542b2e4431.png

Why is the CPU_Opt at 0 RPM, where do you have your pump plugged in?

1 hour ago, BurntIce06 said:

The AIO doesn't seem to be using the bottom half of the radiator because I feel no heat coming out there.

If you feel the pump working (small vibrations) this could be one of those cases where there air trapped at the top of the radiator.

Are those fans around the radiator pushing in the same direction?

9 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Pump seems to work, not sure about your fan setup, you have 3 +2 fans it seems, do they blow the same way ?? 

yes they do blow the same direction

9 hours ago, Needfuldoer said:

Can you hear/feel the pump running?

yea, i hear a small whining noise coming from it

8 hours ago, Jorgemeister said:

Why is the CPU_Opt at 0 RPM, where do you have your pump plugged in?

If you feel the pump working (small vibrations) this could be one of those cases where there air trapped at the top of the radiator.

Are those fans around the radiator pushing in the same direction?

I have my pump plugged into the AIO pump header on my motherboard and yes, the fans are pushing in the same direction

If there is air trapped, how can I fix that?

My cpu_opt header is not connected to anything. However, I don't think this is the problem since all my fan header have the same fan curves

20220625_005323.thumb.jpg.9482dfa6e5209cbaca69c345e8d4a69b.jpg

Could be a water flow problem, is there any way to refill your AIO ? Some allow that but most don't (which is a shame)

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

On 6/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, BurntIce06 said:

I have my pump plugged into the AIO pump header on my motherboard and yes, the fans are pushing in the same direction

If there is air trapped, how can I fix that?

My cpu_opt header is not connected to anything. However, I don't think this is the problem since all my fan header have the same fan curves

I didnt know your MoBo had a pump header besides the CPU_Opt, thats cool.

If there was air trapped it, Corsair says "Gently tilt the PC system forward and backwards to help work the bubbles through the cooler" the idea would be to lead the bubbles out of the pump chamber, maybe move the hoses so the air can flow to the highest point easily.

But I feel that this would be solved by itself by now, Is it still hitting those temps form the screen cap or is it only with Cinebench?

On 6/26/2022 at 5:45 AM, PDifolco said:

Could be a water flow problem, is there any way to refill your AIO ? Some allow that but most don't (which is a shame)

There is a plug on the radiator. So I believe you can refill it. However, I would rather not touch those things because I have no clue how to refill an aio. If I were to ship this back to lian li would they take a look and try and fix my aio?

OP had not mentioned which processor, but R23 screenshot indicates i7-10700K. Intel certifies this CPU to run to 100C. 70C shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/199335/intel-core-i710700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

6 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

OP had not mentioned which processor, but R23 screenshot indicates i7-10700K. Intel certifies this CPU to run to 100C. 70C shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/199335/intel-core-i710700k-processor-16m-cache-up-to-5-10-ghz/specifications.html

Yea that is true but the CPU shouldn't over heat like this especially with the AIO I have. And whenever i reach these high temps(ex.90C+), my CPU thermal throttles which I don't want to happen.

That's just it. It's rated for 100C, and you didn't mention 90+ in your original post, you mentioned 70C. Even 90C isn't that bad if Intel is rating it for 100C. From that, it would seem the CPU is not overheating. So that, combined with you saying there's thermal throttling with no heat coming off of the AIO or rads, indicates you have a blockage or air in the system.

@BurntIce06

You should use one of those infrared heat guns or feel around the system to see where it IS getting hot. THAT will be your blockage. If no one part of the system is warmer than any other, it likely has air in the system that is keeping the coolant from circulating.

And the only way to fix that is to refill the system and keep the reservoir open to purge air until it is fully gone. Things like this are why I discourage liquid cooling, it is far more headache to set up, maintain and troubleshoot, and creates headaches in troubleshooting anything else.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

On 6/27/2022 at 3:21 PM, Jorgemeister said:

I didnt know your MoBo had a pump header besides the CPU_Opt, thats cool.

If there was air trapped it, Corsair says "Gently tilt the PC system forward and backwards to help work the bubbles through the cooler" the idea would be to lead the bubbles out of the pump chamber, maybe move the hoses so the air can flow to the highest point easily.

But I feel that this would be solved by itself by now, Is it still hitting those temps form the screen cap or is it only with Cinebench?

I tried moving my pc around and the hoses but nothing changed. Should I RMA the AIO to Lian Li and let them diagnose the problem because I think this problem is out of my reach to fix

I reach these temp with any load I put on the CPU (ex. Valorant, Minecraft,...). Even after I put it under a load, the temps stay at 90C+. I think the heat is just building up and the radiator is just not keeping up with it and whenever I put any load, the heat generated overwhelms the radiator.

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

That's just it. It's rated for 100C, and you didn't mention 90+ in your original post, you mentioned 70C. Even 90C isn't that bad if Intel is rating it for 100C. From that, it would seem the CPU is not overheating. So that, combined with you saying there's thermal throttling with no heat coming off of the AIO or rads, indicates you have a blockage or air in the system. You should use one of those infrared heat guns or feel around the system to see where it IS getting hot. THAT will be your blockage. If no one part of the system is warmer than any other, it likely has air in the system that is keeping the coolant from circulating.

If it is blocked, should I just contact Lian Li and RMA the AIO because there is not much I can do. I've tried moving the pc and pipes around but nothing seems to be working 

24 minutes ago, BurntIce06 said:

If it is blocked, should I just contact Lian Li and RMA the AIO because there is not much I can do. I've tried moving the pc and pipes around but nothing seems to be working 

There is one thing that you can do. But it requires draining the system and removing the radiators. That is to put a clean piece of tubing on the outlet (whichever direction your flow was), and blow hard against the flow, which should dislodge any blockage. If you have an air compressor with an appropriate attachment, so much the better. This will also establish whether there was, in fact, a blockage in the first place. If there is no blockage, that points to air in the system or a bad AIO pump. And if the system is only getting hot at the CPU and GPU, that would indicate the pump is not doing its job.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

I would try to reseat the heatsync on the CPU itself (clean and reapply paste). Maybe its just not on well.  Immediately high temps after powering on or doing anything when everything is reported working sounds suspiciously like it may be your issue.

I have had basically the same problem in the past on my 7700k with h60 and 90C+ temps. After reseating and seeing temps it was obvious that the first install was incorrect.

4 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

That's just it. It's rated for 100C, and you didn't mention 90+ in your original post, you mentioned 70C. Even 90C isn't that bad if Intel is rating it for 100C. From that, it would seem the CPU is not overheating. So that, combined with you saying there's thermal throttling with no heat coming off of the AIO or rads, indicates you have a blockage or air in the system.

@BurntIce06

You should use one of those infrared heat guns or feel around the system to see where it IS getting hot. THAT will be your blockage. If no one part of the system is warmer than any other, it likely has air in the system that is keeping the coolant from circulating.

And the only way to fix that is to refill the system and keep the reservoir open to purge air until it is fully gone. Things like this are why I discourage liquid cooling, it is far more headache to set up, maintain and troubleshoot, and creates headaches in troubleshooting anything else.

Nah, an Intel 10700K shouldn't get to 100C at 4400MHz all cores with a 360mm AIO (and a good one), it should rather be in the 70C range

Either the waterblock isn't correctly installed, or the AIO pump don't work or has a very low speed

4 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Nah, an Intel 10700K shouldn't get to 100C at 4400MHz all cores with a 360mm AIO (and a good one), it should rather be in the 70C range

Either the waterblock isn't correctly installed, or the AIO pump don't work or has a very low speed

I never said it should, I said it was rated for it. And OP did say 70C in their original post.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 hours ago, An0maly_76 said:

I never said it should, I said it was rated for it. And OP did say 70C in their original post.

The screenshot with HWinfo readings under CBR23 shows 98C+ on all cores, max 100C for all as well...so defo thermal limits reached and throttling CPU

3 hours ago, PDifolco said:

The screenshot with HWinfo readings under CBR23 shows 98C+ on all cores, max 100C for all as well...so defo thermal limits reached and throttling CPU

It could reach the limits and not throttling, HWinfo has a throttle chart as well that OP could use, its just a 0 and 1 kind of chart.

But that was Cinebench, that thing takes all the processors Ive tried to the limit.

You can't run things like Cinebench and expect it to stay cool for long - That's because the chip being benched is working hard during the run so there you go.
If it's possible to improve cooling that's fine but never expect something you're really working/stressing to remain at normal useage temps because it won't.

Also, the thermal spec of the chip indicates 70C is fine so no worries there but at the same time the only true way to know "What" temp it's running at would be to measure it with a thermal probe or something, sensors on a board can be off (Sometimes WAAAY off) and mis-report things.

Imagine my reaction (Laughter) when one day I saw a Sempron in one of my old AM2 setups showing a temp of 462C in the BIOS..... Yet it was still running fine.
Yeah - Should have been a smoking crater where the CPU socket is... Lava.... Something really hot there but there wasn't.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

32 minutes ago, Jorgemeister said:

It could reach the limits and not throttling, HWinfo has a throttle chart as well that OP could use, its just a 0 and 1 kind of chart.

But that was Cinebench, that thing takes all the processors Ive tried to the limit.

Cinebench never made my 5900X reach more than 85C even with 200W PPT, at around 4.6GHz all cores, on a 280mm watercooling... no way it pushes a 10700K to 100C on a  360mm AIO without crazy OC

51 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Cinebench never made my 5900X reach more than 85C even with 200W PPT, at around 4.6GHz all cores, on a 280mm watercooling... no way it pushes a 10700K to 100C on a  360mm AIO without crazy OC

I have a 5900X also, and mine has never gone over 87C, pushing 4.9 on all cores with PBO, air-cooled with limited intake area.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!