Extending the coverage of my existing wireless network

Kraken_05

Right now I have a TP Link Archer A7 as my main router in the first floor of my house. I want to extend the coverage to the ground floor as well but I'm not sure how to do it. I was able to come up with two options:

• Buying a new router and using it in access point mode or just buying an access point
  • Buying a range extender

I don't want separate Wi-Fi networks in my house. I want all the devices in both the floors under one single network. So how do I go about solving this problem?

39 minutes ago, Kraken_05 said:

Buying a new router and using it in access point mode or just buying an access point

If you can run ethernet to the ground floor to establish a direct hardwired connection to the primary router, this is best practice.

Getting this set up with seamless handover when your clients are roaming is a bit tricky. You'll have to adjust antenna power output to get it just right. Software-managed WiFi systems tend to manage this better, but most typical home scenarios can get away without it.

Buying a range extender

Only if you can't run ethernet or set up a mesh system.

I don't want separate Wi-Fi networks in my house. I want all the devices in both the floors under one single network.

You can use the same SSID with the same security/encryption/password settings if you choose to use an AP.

Range extenders will create a new SSID, although it's a slight modification in the name of your primary one.

But be aware that an SSID is just a name. In simple home wireless networks they all connect to the same LAN. If you wanted to isolate clients you'd have to go out of your way set this up.