Building a personal server with a used HP Z440 motherboard

Budget (including currency): $600 us

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Media/Plex and dedicated game server

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

HP Z440 motherboard

Intel Xeon E5-1650 V4

Fractal Design Define R5

Rosewill Hive Series 550W fully modular power supply

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

GinTai 1pcs ATX 24Pin to 18P+8(pin) to 12pin Adapter Power Supply Cable Replacement for HP Z440

32 gigs DDR4 Registered ECC ram (8 x 4 gigs sticks)

Crucial BX500 1TB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 inch internal SSD

Has anyone ever built a server with one of these motherboards in a non standard case? Any special things you had to do to get them to POST?

1 hour ago, Trevor87 said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283356054809 If is this board then it a ATX form factor.

Witch will fit in any supported ATX case.

I see at least 2 standoffs that are missing and 2 that are extra and one that is questionable. This is not atx standard.

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

I see at least 2 standoffs that are missing and 2 that are extra and one that is questionable. This is not atx standard.

Which standoff is questionable? All the outer standoff holes line up beautifully. The two in the center to the right of the pci-e slots don't line up with any.

1 hour ago, Mel0nMan said:

It isn't ATX and if it's anything like my z620's board the power connectors aren't either. Just get one of those Chinese LGA2011 boards

The power connectors are not a standard connector. I have used the 24 pin to 18 pin adapter and the 8 pin to 12 pin connector for the board.

10 minutes ago, Tophellcat said:

Which standoff is questionable? All the outer standoff holes line up beautifully. The two in the center to the right of the pci-e slots don't line up with any.

These are the problem areas, nothing that can't be overcome with a little case jiggery. But HP has always been questionable with things like ram and HDD acceptance. Just be careful with compatibility before you commit to the platform.

Do you already have the board/cpu or are you open to suggestions?

Z440 MB.jpg