Pc RAM Problems =(

Hello! I have swapped my mobo for my pc and once i powered it on in the Task manager it is showing me that i am using 4GB of ram nInstead of 8 GB of ram, and even tho i set the MHZ to 3200 isntead of 2133 it is still showing up in the Task manager as 2133 MHz, how may i fix it? Send me a link or be a helpful human beeing! Cheers! -A PC Newbie

4 hours ago, Mimiliko said:

Hello! I have swapped my mobo for my pc and once i powered it on in the Task manager it is showing me that i am using 4GB of ram nInstead of 8 GB of ram, and even tho i set the MHZ to 3200 isntead of 2133 it is still showing up in the Task manager as 2133 MHz, how may i fix it? Send me a link or be a helpful human beeing! Cheers! -A PC Newbie

If less RAM than installed is showing up in Windows, start by checking how much RAM is showing in the BIOS/UEFI. 

If the BIOS is showing only 4gb also, then first step would be to try re-seating your RAM (i.e. remove and reinstall it). 

Also check your motherboard manual to make sure you're installing the RAM in the correct slots for your board. If you have 4 slots, most boards will probably recommend the RAM be installed in the slot furthest from the CPU, and the slot second slot away from the CPU. Sorry if this sounds confusing, but your motherboard manual will clarify the details. 

Regarding the speed, some CPU models and motherboard chipsets don't support XMP / DOCP (higher RAM speeds). So confirming the speed supported via both the CPU vendors website (Intel or AMD), and the motherboard vendors website. For example, some Intel CPU's on certain chipsets will not support RAM speeds above 2666mhz. So attempting to enter higher speeds may be causing them to revert to default speeds (2133). If you can share your motherboard, CPU and RAM details, we will be able to help confirm the details for you if you're not sure. 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:51 PM, --SID-- said:

What CPU, motherboard and RAM?

Ryzen 3 1200, GA-AB350M-DS3H (rev. 1), Patriot Viper 4 Blackout PVB48G320C6K DDR4 8 GB CL16 3200 MHz

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 4:32 AM, Mimiliko said:

Ryzen 3 1200, GA-AB350M-DS3H (rev. 1), Patriot Viper 4 Blackout PVB48G320C6K DDR4 8 GB CL16 3200 MHz

So having a look at these models, that RAM kit is not listed on the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for this motherboard. 

In addition to this, the CPU you have only supports 2666mhz RAM. 

First gen Ryzen is known for being very picky with its RAM compatibility. 

You mention this issue didn't occur previously. If you recently updated the BIOS, it may be worth trying to roll back to a previous version.

Additionally, if you haven't updated the BIOS, updating to a newer version may improve RAM compatibility. Just be careful as some versions of the BIOS may remove support for your CPU. So make sure you don't update to anything that stops it from accepting your CPU. 

The only other thing I can suggest is to try manually set your RAM speeds to 2666mhz, as that is the most your CPU officially supports. If that doesn't work you will probably need to look at running it at 2133mhz or at getting a different RAM kit.