Turning PC on with a switch

Weller40

Hey,

i am planning to build a sleeperpc in an old radio and would like to turn the pc on with a switch on the front, because i really like the feeling of these switches.

I tryed to turn on my pc and keeping the button pressed, but that didnt work (who would have guessed...).

So. Is there a softwareoption that i can enable that a switch will work?
Shure i could build something witch detects the Switch press and only sends a short signal, but if there is a easyer option i would take that.

When you say "these switches", what kind of switch are you talking about? What you need is a momentary switch, something that bridges a circuit momentarily, and they come in many styles. Button form like what's on your PC to begin with or something like this maybe.  

https://www.amazon.com/MGI-SpeedWare-One-Side-Momentary-Toggle/dp/B08YZ896QN/?th=1

614I-yLXMCL._SL1353_.jpg

513SXiuo2sL._SL1431_.jpg

These are not momentary Switches. They stay on, until you are pressing an other switch, wich will set them back.

If there is no software solution i will find an hardware way to solve this.

I also got an image of the radio if you want to see it. I would like to use the big buttons in the middle.

Radio.jpg

Not to rain on your parade, but an original radio like that in such nice condition could be worth big money to a collector. Maybe there's a similar replica available?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Yeah. like 200-400 100-200 Euros if it worked. At the time i dont have the skill to repair it and it would cost the same to let sombody else repair it. Also we have at least one other which if it doesnt work i will definitly put in the time some day to repair it.

Also that is not the one i have, only a random picture of the internet. But the condition is compareable.

This isn't really a question of software, at least not on the computer side. Heck you can start the PC with a screwdriver just by momentarily bridging the two pins the normal power switch connects to. 

If you're trying to use a non-momentary switch, you'd need to connect that switch up to a "box" that would take your input signal and convert it to a momentary trigger to the motherboards power switch pins. 

Ok. I just wanted to know, if there was somthing like a Bios Setting, which i could change, but i didnt really think there was something.

For any one looking for a solution, i am going to use somthing like this.

20220622_100949.jpg

Yeah. That´s basically the same. It´s all about the time the capacitor needs to charge up and when it is charged up enough its switches a logic gate or in my case a transistor. I use the transistor, bacause i have a few of them on hand.