UEFI boot drive won't boot even though it is a set correctly as UEFI

ISU152

I recently changed a hard drive from a SATA to a M2 drive. However I have this weird problem that the PC is not booting after I cut off it's power from the outlet. If I power off the outlet, the next time it boots, BIOS. I tried CSM sometimes it works but only once, next time I turn on the PC, the same things happen again even though I didn't change any settings at all. If I enable Legacy boot mode it will tell me to insert a proper boot drive. Using UEFI on all the CSM settings will just cause it not to detect the drive at all. It won't show up on the boot menu. Switching off CSM just sends it right into BIOS. I am confused and frustrated, my drive supports UEFI and is even in the right format but it just doesn't want to boot and most of the times I just tinker around with CSM and it will magically work again. 😕

4 minutes ago, ISU152 said:

I recently changed a hard drive from a SATA to a M2 drive. However I have this weird problem that the PC is not booting after I cut off it's power from the outlet. If I power off the outlet, the next time it boots, BIOS. I tried CSM sometimes it works but only once, next time I turn on the PC, the same things happen again even though I didn't change any settings at all. If I enable Legacy boot mode it will tell me to insert a proper boot drive. Using UEFI on all the CSM settings will just cause it not to detect the drive at all. It won't show up on the boot menu. Switching off CSM just sends it right into BIOS. I am confused and frustrated, my drive supports UEFI and is even in the right format but it just doesn't want to boot and most of the times I just tinker around with CSM and it will magically work again. 😕

When you remove power from the outlet are any of the settings changes made in the BIOS being lost, if so that would seem to be a flat CMOS battery to be replaced.

You could have an intermittent connection with the M,2 that might need reseating, when it fails to boot are you checking the drive is detected elsewhere in the BIOS or just the boot menu,

If its detected elsewhere and just the boot settings I'd say try updating the motherboard BIOS initially.

12 minutes ago, MrMase said:

When you remove power from the outlet are any of the settings changes made in the BIOS being lost, if so that would seem to be a flat CMOS battery to be replaced.

You could have an intermittent connection with the M,2 that might need reseating, when it fails to boot are you checking the drive is detected elsewhere in the BIOS or just the boot menu,

If its detected elsewhere and just the boot settings I'd say try updating the motherboard BIOS initially.

Its not the CMOS battery because I still have the settings, it detects the M2 and knows it's there but it doesn't accept it as a proper boot drive if I put it into Legacy mode this proves that it is UEFI. I am starting to think that it is not the CSM's problem after I got it to work just now. It worked fine with and without CSM as long as it is not set to legacy mode but I am pretty sure that if I switch off the outlet now, the problem will persist. 

3 minutes ago, ISU152 said:

Its not the CMOS battery because I still have the settings, it detects the M2 and knows it's there but it doesn't accept it as a proper boot drive if I put it into Legacy mode this proves that it is UEFI. I am starting to think that it is not the CSM's problem after I got it to work just now. It worked fine with and without CSM as long as it is not set to legacy mode but I am pretty sure that if I switch off the outlet now, the problem will persist. 

CSM = Uses Legacy BIOS Mode

As such UEFI is not a thing but a new type of BIOS.

As the setting remain this brings us back to the suggestion I gave of updating the motherboard bios to see if it is resolved by one of the common non descript revision notes of "Stability Improvements"

7 minutes ago, MrMase said:

CSM = Uses Legacy BIOS Mode

As such UEFI is not a thing but a new type of BIOS.

As the setting remain this brings us back to the suggestion I gave of updating the motherboard bios to see if it is resolved by one of the common non descript revision notes of "Stability Improvements"

Okay but any tips on how to do that?

1 minute ago, ISU152 said:

Okay but any tips on how to do that?

What is your motherboard model, if you don't know a tool like HWinfo should be able to tell you, then its just a case of going to their support website, looking up the model and following instructions (milage varies depending on maker).

Now I have the motherboard model from another topic Asus H610M K D4 you can go to https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-H610M-K-D4/HelpDesk_BIOS/ the latest is Version 1402.

Download the file and extract the zip file.

Run the BIOS Renamer as administrator then copy the folder to the root of one of the non problematic drives you have.

In the BIOS Tools section use ASUS EZ Flash 3 to read the file from the drive / folder you placed it.

After update it will reset your system and most likely prompt for setup.

I would recommend going though, enabling XMP for overclocking if memory supports it, Enable Above 4G Encoding and Setting Resizable BAR to Auto / Enabled.

CSM as you know needs to be disabled and Secure boot enabled set to Windows OS

6 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Now I have the motherboard model from another topic Asus H610M K D4 you can go to https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-H610M-K-D4/HelpDesk_BIOS/ the latest is Version 1402.

Download the file and extract the zip file.

Run the BIOS Renamer as administrator then copy the folder to the root of one of the non problematic drives you have.

In the BIOS Tools section use ASUS EZ Flash 3 to read the file from the drive / folder you placed it.

After update it will reset your system and most likely prompt for setup.

I would recommend going though, enabling XMP for overclocking if memory supports it, Enable Above 4G Encoding and Setting Resizable BAR to Auto / Enabled.

CSM as you know needs to be disabled and Secure boot enabled set to Windows OS

okay thanks a lot 🙂