PC upgrade newbie help

Budget (including currency): TBD (USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Minecraft, VR, Red Dead Redemption 2, et cet

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc):  So, I know that getting a pre-built is typically frowned upon, or at least it was when I first purchased mine back in March of 2020. It has performed well beyond my expectations for the better part of 2 years. But, like always, looking to upgrade is just nature at this point. 

Current specs- (when when purchased)

Motherboard - ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0

GPU - radeon rx 580 directx 12 4GB GDDR5 (there is an XFX printed on the side, not sure if that matters)

CPU - ADM Ryzen 5 2600 6 cores 12 threads 3.4 GHz (3.9 GHz Max Boost)

Memory - single stick 8GB DDR4 2400 MHz (can't see the brand without pulling the stick out sadly)

Storage - 500gb 2.5 inch SSD

PSU - 80 plus 500 Watt from thermaltake smart series
Case - Thermaltake Versa N21, White

Price of the prebuilt - $679.99 USD from Skytech Gaming (came with Windows 10 Pro instead of standard Windows 10. had no other place to put this part)

Upgrades I have since added myself-

I bought a second memory stick, identical in brand and model to the first stick so I could run my pc in duel channel memory at 16gb (though I am hopefully gonna be upgrading this at a later date)

a 2tb M.2 SSD WD_black SN750 (a very stressful upgrade for me to perform as it took several attempts, which includes me having had to pull out my GPU and ram sticks in order to have enough clearance for my hands)

Upgrades I plan to add-

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - replacing the ryzen 5 2600
Silicon Power 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 - replacing the 8x2 2400MHz sticks currently in my pc

I am both incredibly new and incredibly weary of messing around with the internals of my PC. Less so for the ram as that is a pretty straightforward upgrade, but the CPU is one i'm terrified of messing with and I want to make sure I get absolutely everything correct beforehand before i make such a heavy investment. I also want to know if such an upgrade would necessitate an upgrade to my PSU, an upgrade I am even more terrified of performing. If i were going for a GPU upgrade, this might've been a bigger necessity, but with the CPU being the primary upgrade planned, I don't know if this is required. I've tried to look into this myself, but I am far from knowledgeable with this type of stuff and I've just ended up confusing myself more and more whenever I've attempted to. sorry for such a long post, I just know that having too many details can be a lot better than having not enough details to give an educated answer.

TLDR - is the planned upgrade for my cpu and memory sticks supported with my current motherboard? and is a PSU upgrade going to be required with the cpu upgrade in mind?

your mobo will not support a 5000 series CPU and I do not think that the ram slots will run at 3200mhz and a PSU upgrade may be necessary due to the tight power budgets usually present in a prebuilt and knowing which prebuilt you have will help with the suggestions

without knowing the prebuilt model, I think 2666mhz or 2933mhz ram will be compatible, and move the os to the SSD if you have not done that already and change your boot drive to the SSD and for help watch- How to build a PC, the last guide you'll ever need! - YouTube

and Guide: What to do AFTER building your computer... - YouTube

That a320 board s vrms is not gonna handle a 5800 at all. It will run but noticeably slower due to vrm overheating of the board

Now as for the other ones.

The 500w thermaltake smart series is a bad psu and not something Id reuse. The rx580 is already pushing it. Adding the 5800x wont help with that. It should be fine with just the cpu upgrade but its a low end unit so anything can happen.

You did not list a cpu cooler. The 5800x needs a decent cooler as it runs very hot. A sycthe fuma 2 or thermalright assasin 120 are both great budget coolers.

For the ram I advice 3600mhz sticks as ryzen really benefits from this. The reason is that at thid speed its memory controller and the ram run in perfect sync. Preferably its also cl16 ram but if it can't be due to budget cl18 is ok too.

What is the reason for upgrading? A 2600 shouldnt hold back a rx 580.

thanks for the help. and a shame that the CPU i had in mind isn't going to work, but at least the ram upgrade seems feasible

34 minutes ago, jaslion said:

The 500w thermaltake smart series is a bad psu and not something Id reuse. The rx580 is already pushing it. Adding the 5800x wont help with that. It should be fine with just the cpu upgrade but its a low end unit so anything can happen.

You did not list a cpu cooler. The 5800x needs a decent cooler as it runs very hot. A sycthe fuma 2 or thermalright assasin 120 are both great budget coolers.

I genuinely don't know what cooler my pc has as I don't trust myself to remove it to find out. I already planned on having someone else i trust for this to handle it for me. as for the PSU, i sadly don't have enough of a budget to work with in order to upgrade my PSU. it is a bit disheartening to hear that this isn't quite gonna work out how I had hoped, but at least i know for the future when more sufficient upgrades are actually possible. thank you.