Getting Sponsored Having Built (only) One Custom Mod

I'm guessing everyone would like to enter the sponsorship business, but y'all know it's hard. It's even harder if the only mid/high end custom pc was your own. Not everyone has the cash to spend on a 5k PC. Speaking for myself, I'm experienced with modding, designing and building, but I don't have any truly baller high end system to show people except my own. Which isn't that high end anyways. I have a build log in the forum: "Goni" Custom Water Cooled System...

If anyone has ever gotten a sponsorship from any hardware manufacturer or LC manufacturer it'll be great if you shared any tips or something. And please don't just send a link to the infamous bit-tech thread..

WmZgmjF.jpg

I have never gotten sponsored... tried many of times, and currently trying now.. 

1. Have a portfolio. With only one mod, maybe list some skills what will help with the next mod.

2. Have a plan. Tell them what you will be doing with the case. 

3. Help them market. Make sure you are giving them something. Don't just go posting on 1-2 forums, make sure you get their name out, it will only build a better relationship with them. (and other manufacturer that see dedication.)

4. Be professional. Think of it as a job interview. Dont just go gimme gimme and expect a full system from them.

Then again... i have never been sponsored... but these are the rules i follow... and hopefully one day i catch a fish...

My Portfolio in a nutshell.

tiles.png

Thanks a lot man! I've seen the last build on another forum and it looks awesome! All of them do!

too my knowledge, most companies wont sponsor a build unless you are doing really serious modding.

also from what i have been told by Coolermaster, they expect atleast one thing complete before allowing to sponsor for the rest of the build. a good start is to do the case, get it modded, then get some awesome pics online to show companies to get there attention, then they are more likly to grant you a sponsor... i am working on getting my self a cosmos 2 at the moment for my noir elite build, going to spend like 2-4 months just modding that then going to get sponsors

Character artist in the Games industry.

also, spending a fair few weeks or even a few months doing designs and stuff is a good way to let them know your intent for the build, but given that the case makes the mod its good to use that as the jumping bored to get the attention you need to get the sponsors

Character artist in the Games industry.

I have a couple of acquaintances that get sponsored for their builds and they tell me that it takes a lot of hard work and money. You have to invest the time and money to make really nice mods and systems before a company will even take notice of you. There is a lot of competition among modders and builders as to who gets sponsored for builds.

One of them wrote this to explain how he got his:

http://www.paultandesigns.com/10-things-i-learned-in-modding-sponsorship/

That last post was great, reminds me of how I had to work to get audio sponsorship's ( not free just a heavy discount). I spent 2 years competing before I was accepted on a team, then another year before my pricing really dropped. I had to take over 250 1st's and set a few records. I'm working on a project now buying tools and figuring things out on old cases I have. So far, I've spent around 500 in just tools to play around lol, and I'm looking at another 500 here soon (air brush compressor ect). But the main thing that I learned in audio was keep your head up and invest in your self (good tools make for great work) and don't ask for hand outs!

I havent done any finished mods (all are in the build right now), but i have alot of construction knowledge, and tools for it and right now all my builds are sponsored.

(i do mostly scratch builds, or heavy mods)

The stuff i see as important when you look for sponsors is.

- Do something new, focus on what your build is different from whats out there.

- DO not ever, ever use your own low economy as excuse to seek out sponsors

- Focus on what this project can do for the company you talking to

- Have a plan for your project, making a personal computer for your own pleasure is not a good point

- Show what you have done earlier, doesnt need to be a computer. Just show that you can handle a saw, cut straight, sand nice, and have a talent for end finishing.

- Do not spend hundreds of hours in renderings and 3D pics, this will give a finish of the build you may not can acheive. Use simpler illustrations and explain in text.

(Everyone, almost, can do a nice rendering of something, it takes a ton of knowledge to really make whats been rendered)
- Just putting stuff into a case and sleeve the cables will NEVER ever in this earth get you sponsored, that time has ended! You need to fabricate or do something really unique.

And the last point, that i consider the most important.
- Start your project, get some stuff, show off your idea and go ahead with the specs and hardware as you go. Make the readers of the project you show it to see that you really can cut a straight edge with a jig saw, or have the talent to combine colors, shapes and design.

This last point is crucial, when i started my WOPR build i asked some companies, but no replies. Now when im half way into it, i have to say no to sponsors every week.
Same with my other builds, until i get started and really showed where the projects are going, how i do it and what it looks to end up is 100% better than showing a rendered picture.

As a side note, this is whats working for me, i can say this works for everyone. It depends on what you doing and with wich parts and stuff.

The latest stuff isnt the point of doing a great build, its what you do and how you do it! (The golden circle, What, How, WHY)

I'm guessing everyone would like to enter the sponsorship business, but y'all know it's hard. It's even harder if the only mid/high end custom pc was your own. Not everyone has the cash to spend on a 5k PC. Speaking for myself, I'm experienced with modding, designing and building, but I don't have any truly baller high end system to show people except my own. Which isn't that high end anyways. I have a build log in the forum: "Goni" Custom Water Cooled System...

If anyone has ever gotten a sponsorship from any hardware manufacturer or LC manufacturer it'll be great if you shared any tips or something. And please don't just send a link to the infamous bit-tech thread..

If i just take a look at your build and think about it as a sponsored case, you have a great build for your purposes and its probably works well.

But for a sponsor, its nothing. You have done what everyone does, LC, some parts in a case and thats it.

But, if you rip out your drive cage, put the res sideways pointing to the camera, suspend the drives with some cool cage. Custom paint some parts to get accent colors to match the others you right away have something else than you started with. And have a great project to work on with to get more details and changes on the road to make it unique and increase your chances of obtaining sponsorship.

I see a ton of stuff you can do with your case, can ramble about it for a hour :P

manufacturers want to see exposure.. build logs, period! if you've done twelve builds and

have build logs on all of them posted in various different forums, the mannies love to see

the exposure value. you don't have to have monster mods done, it helps with grade of

support, but they look at the value of sponsorship to exposure and what detail can be drawn

from that build. great writing and photography with updates deffo gets their attention. five

pictures with a crappy phone camera and some small blurb of text with no updates or

progress will usually get you into the "yeah, we'll keep you in mind and we'll contact you"

response.

airdeano

I have never gotten sponsored... tried many of times, and currently trying now.. 

1. Have a portfolio. With only one mod, maybe list some skills what will help with the next mod.

2. Have a plan. Tell them what you will be doing with the case. 

3. Help them market. Make sure you are giving them something. Don't just go posting on 1-2 forums, make sure you get their name out, it will only build a better relationship with them. (and other manufacturer that see dedication.)

4. Be professional. Think of it as a job interview. Dont just go gimme gimme and expect a full system from them.

Then again... i have never been sponsored... but these are the rules i follow... and hopefully one day i catch a fish...

My Portfolio in a nutshell.

tiles.png

I love the safe build please may I have links to the full build logs or showcases of all of these mods. Thanks and nice work

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"