PC shutting down suddenly (quite)

dgdg
Go to solution Solved by Sat1600,

What temps are you getting during gamming? Shutdowns like that could be cause by a CPU overheating I'd the PC can't compensate by throttling.

Also can commonly be the power supply. Do have a PSU you can test with?

Ryzen 5 3600X / Ryzen 5 5600 (I made an upgrade yesterday)
5700XT Reference model (Asus)
2x8gb DDR4 3000mhz@2933mhz
Gigabyte 700W 80 Plus Bronze Semi Modular - B700H

144hz Benq 24" Monitor

From the beginning:
From quite some time now, at least since the last the last 10 months, the pc was doing these sudden shut downs, only when I played Doom eternal. The shutdowns were quite random. Most of the time it happened after at least one hour of gameplay, but sometimes it happens quite fast, 2-5 minutes after the game-play started. Ive looked at everything, found nothing that could to justify it. Changed everything, underclocked the VGA, got assured the Junction Temps were never going beyond 88C... The suddens shutdowns continued. Only while playing Doom Eternal. Didnt happens with Elden Ring, Street Fighter 5, Overwatch, CoD Warzone, Diablo Immortal. Im not sure but maybe it happened with Cyberpunk when I played it, when it launched. Its too much time ago and that game gave me so much headaches I didnt even paid attention to anything specifically.

Yesterday I changed the CPU, kept the same cooler. And, went into testing games with it (Windows and anything non-gaming runs just fine). PC shutdown right after the loading of the map, when the gameplay should start. I tried a few more times and or I had the same result, or the game crashed in the initial screen (where there is 3d rendering already). Then I started trying every single game I had and all of them shut the pc down when the gameplay should to start (overwatch and Diablo shut the pc down right at the main menu screen). "You know what? Formatting.".

Removed every single storage I had but my main one, the 970 EVO Plus.Everything formatted, newest drivers, and the problem persists. But now there is something new: The first game, Doom Eternal, was shutting the pc as soon as I applied the the new video configurations in the menu options. After a few shut downs I decided to only change the vsync, and it shut down. In the next boot I maxed everything in the game and dont changed the vsync. the game accepted the new configurations just fine. I tried to play and the pc shut down. In the next boots I simply tried to alt+tab between the game and desktop and the pc shuts down. I can change the refresh rate to anything in desktop, I can force the vsync off or on, anything... pc shuts whenever I alt+tab or try to change the vsync in the game options. I've tried the other games and they all shut the pc down aswell, whenever the game starts the 3d rendering. I also tried to turn on/off the SAM both in the bios and in the driver, same results. Tried to underclock the VGA, same results... I was convinced by then that it was some software problem, or a very specific thing in the 5700xt. then I ran the stress test from AMD's driver, and it worked fine in the first test. I repeated the test and the pc shuts down... Tried the stress test some times, with and without underclock, and the pc shuts down ins 70% of the tries, with or without the underclock. And now I dont have any idea on whats going on with my system.

Low temps all the time, the Power usage of the VGA is 170W, CPU never consumed more than 30W during the tests... And I dont know how to pinpoint the problem... Suggestions?

What temps are you getting during gamming? Shutdowns like that could be cause by a CPU overheating I'd the PC can't compensate by throttling.

Sudden shutdowns usually PSU related.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

1 hour ago, Sat1600 said:

When the shut downs happens while trying to game, once theres basically no 3d rendering happening until the problem happen, temps never even reach the 60's, no time for that.

I dont have another PSU to test with 😕 I was about to buy a new one but I wanted to test everything else that doesn't cost me any money first.

Actually, I think I have a 650w seasonic, a very old one, in one of the computers in my office. It will be problematic to get it for testing but I gonna have to, if I dont manage to find anything else. In the meantime, what else you guys think I could look for?

1 hour ago, dgdg said:

When the shut downs happens while trying to game, once theres basically no 3d rendering happening until the problem happen, temps never even reach the 60's, no time for that.

I dont have another PSU to test with 😕 I was about to buy a new one but I wanted to test everything else that doesn't cost me any money first.

Actually, I think I have a 650w seasonic, a very old one, in one of the computers in my office. It will be problematic to get it for testing but I gonna have to, if I dont manage to find anything else. In the meantime, what else you guys think I could look for?

I wouldn't use it long term, but it's unlikely to have the same exact issue if it is the PSU. You can test with it.

I would get a better power supply anyway if I were you

It was the PSU, guys... The Seasonic 620W from early 2015 is kicking ass, the pc is blistering fast AND stable. And this goddamn Gigabyte PSU that had this problem pretty much from day one, and probably also is the cause of 1 motherboard lost... AND SO MUCH TROUBLE! 🤦‍♂️

Move along, move along There's nothing to see here... - Nothing to see here  | Meme Generator

Thanks for the replies, guys.

PS: Is there a chance of a PSU whose the motherboard got circuits fried (prolly lighting), be ok? I just remembered that the first pc from the office who was using this PSU woke up completely fried after a stormy night. But the PSU was just fine lol (at least visually, and it was and is still able to power pcs on). Now Im thinking if it may be working but lost the protections it should have. And can fry my pc in the next overvoltage from the power grid...

12 hours ago, --SID-- said:

Probably garbage. What's the exact model?

I was mistaken, it wasnt a thermaltake. It was a gigabyte:

4 minutes ago, dgdg said:

I was mistaken, it wasnt a thermaltake. It was a gigabyte:

That's garbage too.