Need help with computer won't boot

Starscream1989
Go to solution Solved by An0maly_76,
8 minutes ago, Starscream1989 said:

Yea the actual logo on the motherboard , not the bios/splash screen I can't even get it to get to that point lol.  

I just got this PSU yesterday brand new from best buy . 

I have also checked and double check to make sure the power / reset headers are in the correct pin slots.

Brand-new means nothing... Read my sig. 🤣

Are any of the POST LEDs lighting up? If not, could be a bad MOBO.

I would recheck the PWR / RESET / HDD / LED header wiring to eliminate any mistakes there, then remove and jump out the ATX power connector to see if the PSU even comes on. Leave a HDD or something connected, some of these won't do this without a load on them. If you still have trouble, the capacitors in the PSU could be going bad. They are supposed to store voltage for the increased surge load of startup, but if they don't have enough stored, it will stumble and the system will shut down or not even try to power on.

So I bought a new PSU for my PC because I recently bought a 3070ti and it requires 2 6+2 Pin PCI-E connectors which my old PSU I lost the bag of cables that came with it when I got it back in 2014 . 

So I shutdown my PC and then I turned off the PSU by pushing the switch on the PSU and unplugged the wall plug put of it . Picked up my computer and moved it into the kitchen so I had more room to work with .  So I begin unplugging all the cables that the PSU that had been plugged into my mother board , I then finally remove the PSU and with the cables and installed the new PSU and plugged in the new cables in the correct spots on the motherboard and made sure it was that the connections were solid and flush .  I then installed the 3070ti and connected the 2 individually PCI-E cables in.  I then doubled checked to make sure all cables were plugged in correctly. 

I then hooked up the power cable into the back of the PSU and into the wall outlet. I pressed on the power switch on the PSU and the LEDS on the board light up solid white and the logo led light up also . I then proceeded to press the power button on my PC case and when I did nothing happen at all the fans did spin on nor did the board post or come to life like it normally does .  

I went and rechecked everything made sure everything was plugged in correctly and still the power button doesn't do anything I even tried to boot by doing the pin method and still nothing .

Now I didn't think about it but do you think it could be due to the coms battery needs to be reset and this is what is causing it to not power on ?

My PC Specs 

CPU : i7 9700k

CPU cooler : corsair H100i

Ram : 16GB

GPU : EVGA 3070ti 

Motherboard : Gigabyte Z390 Gaming Gaming X

PSU : Corsair 850W 80+ gold 

Any suggestions are welcomed and thanks

CMOS is a thought if it is more than a few years old, they usually last quite a while. I would pull your DIMMs and air-dust / reseat them. I knocked a DIMM loose on my 5900X and it shut down while running hard and nearly gave me a heart attack until I figured it out. Just resurrected an old Lenovo M71e that did the same thing. Fans on max, no video by chance? Probably a loose RAM module.

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

8 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

CMOS is a thought if it is more than a few years old, they usually last quite a while. I would pull your DIMMs and air-dust / reseat them. I knocked a DIMM loose on my 5900X and it shut down while running hard and nearly gave me a heart attack until I figured it out. Just resurrected an old Lenovo M71e that did the same thing. Fans on max, no video by chance? Probably a loose RAM module.

Well when I turn on the PSU the logo and another LED turns on but when I go to press the power switch on my Case it does nothing like the fans don't run or anything.  I even tried to do it with the pins to get it to power on but nothing 

So when you say logo, you mean integrated into the motherboard and GPU? Not the BIOS splash screen?

It does potentially sound like dying capacitors in the PSU. They're known to do that when they're disconnected from power or left turned off for awhile.

Are you positive the PWR / RESET header wiring is reinstalled correctly? That can be a nightmare and it is very easy to make a mistake.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

2 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

So when you say logo, you mean integrated into the motherboard and GPU? Not the BIOS splash screen?

It does potentially sound like dying capacitors in the PSU. They're known to do that when they're disconnected from power or left turned off for awhile.

Are you positive the PWR / RESET header wiring is reinstalled correctly? That can be a nightmare and it is very easy to make a mistake.

Yea the actual logo on the motherboard , not the bios/splash screen I can't even get it to get to that point lol.  

I have also checked and double check to make sure the power / reset headers are in the correct pin slots . 

8 minutes ago, Starscream1989 said:

I have also checked and double check to make sure the power / reset headers are in the correct pin slots.

I would recheck the PWR / RESET / HDD / LED header wiring to eliminate any mistakes there, then remove and jump out the ATX power connector to see if the PSU even comes on. Leave a HDD or something connected, some of these won't do this without a load on them. If you still have trouble, the capacitors in the PSU could be going bad. They are supposed to store voltage for the increased surge load of startup, but if they don't have enough stored, it will stumble and the system will shut down or not even try to power on.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

On 5/28/2022 at 9:21 PM, An0maly_76 said:

Alright well I went ahead and removed everything from the motherboard beside the cpu and aio and removed the motherboard from the case and placed it on a box with anti static bag and hooked up the PSU , CPU and a fan , and left 1 stick of ram . And started it up and it actually posted and I starting adding more stuff and ram and it worked .

So I think what it might of been was a PCI-E cord was fully seated in the PSU which cause the PC to not turn on and post . 

Thanks for the help 

Couple things here. There could be some play on any one of the pins in the PSU cables that introduces a poor connection under the lateral force from being shoehorned into cramped quarters and such. Also, if it booted with one stick of RAM, that could mean the other stick was bad and in the primary slot, which would prevent booting. Just some things to check if it happens again.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

28 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

Couple things here. There could be some play on any one of the pins in the PSU cables that introduces a poor connection under the lateral force from being shoehorned into cramped quarters and such. Also, if it booted with one stick of RAM, that could mean the other stick was bad and in the primary slot, which would prevent booting. Just some things to check if it happens again.

Thanks , will remember going forward so far though it's running good I'm just glad it wasn't a dead mobo