Need help with Chrome

mvitkun
Go to solution Solved by mvitkun,

one is HTML the other Flash.

Flash can go over 1080p in YT but not HTML.

(I'm talking about the video player)

Yeah I figured that out moments after posting this, but it still wouldn't let me disable HTML 5 for chrome, I wasn't in the trial/beta but it used it anyway.Tried joining trial and leaving it like some users on Google groups suggested and nothing.

Finally found an answer on Google groups

Here's how I disabled HTML5 video in Chrome on Windows:

Find the file called ffmpegsumo.dll where Chrome is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\30.xxxxx\ for me).

Delete it or move it out of that folder.

And it forces chrome to play using flash.

*update*

@Jogostar brought up an easier solution.

install the Magic Action plugin from the chrome web-store and enable force player type, and under that choose flash. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif/related?hl=en

*update*

When you delete the ffmpegsumo.dll file it forces flash in all scenarios, included embedded videos, Magic Actions however does not force flash player when videos are embedded, if this is important to you just delete the file.I deleted it and installed Magic Action because of some of the other nice features it provides.

For some reason Chrome displays a max resolution of 1080p for a large amount of videos that when viewed on other browsers have a 2160p option.

Tried it on Canary, where it didn't display the 2160p option either, and on Chromium, where it did.

4HkooSc.png

uRuwNDY.png

Just wanted to know why some 4K videos show up on chrome and others don't, even when they show up with the 4k option on other browsers.

I mean Linus' videos recently show up as 4K, and allow me to watch them in 4K on chrome, but others like the above video did not display the 4K option on Chrome or Canary, but for some reason did show up as 4K on Chromium, Firefox, and even Internet Explorer.

Anybody got any ideas?

BTW here's the video I used to check, although there are quite a few videos that don't display the 4K option on chrome. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Probably a plugin, try disabling it and see if it changes.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Yeah I figured that out moments after posting this, but it still wouldn't let me disable HTML 5 for chrome, I wasn't in the trial/beta but it used it anyway.Tried joining trial and leaving it like some users on Google groups suggested and nothing.

Here's how I disabled HTML5 video in Chrome on Windows:

Find the file called ffmpegsumo.dll where Chrome is installed (C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\30.xxxxx\ for me).

Delete it or move it out of that folder.

*update*

@Jogostar brought up an easier solution.

install the Magic Action plugin from the chrome web-store and enable force player type, and under that choose flash. 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif/related?hl=en

*update*

When you delete the ffmpegsumo.dll file it forces flash in all scenarios, included embedded videos, Magic Actions however does not force flash player when videos are embedded, if this is important to you just delete the file.I deleted it and installed Magic Action because of some of the other nice features it provides.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

I use magic actions for that. ^^

@mvitkun, I would try opening up an incognito window in Chrome because you'll have no plugins enabled and then you can see if you get the 4K option on all 4K videos then. Just a thought. If it doesn't work then I don't know what to say other then.......supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (The word to say when you don't know what to say :D).

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Linus Sebastian said:

I use magic actions for that. ^^

As do I. :D

Youtube recently restricted almost every channel to upload 4K.

Meh

@mvitkun, I would try opening up an incognito window in Chrome because you'll have no plugins enabled and then you can see if you get the 4K option on all 4K videos then. Just a thought. If it doesn't work then I don't know what to say other then.......supercalifragilisticexpialidocious (The word to say when you don't know what to say :D).

I did,and even if that were the issue,I already said I tried it on Chrome Canary, which has a different directory, so it wouldn't have the plugins I as using.

Also the problem was solved a few posts ago, as said above moments after posting this thread I realized that HTML 5 was being forced on chrome for some reason despite my not being in the trial, So I removed ffmpegsumo.dll from the chrome directory which forced chrome to use flash,solving the issue.

@Jogostar also mentioned an easy fix my using the force flash player option on the Magic Actions plugin for chrome, which also has many other useful features.

Linus Sebastian said:

Youtube recently restricted almost every channel to upload 4K.

Meh

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, seems badly phrased.

It sounds like you're saying that either

-youtube won't let you post 4K videos

or

-youtube only lets you post 4k videos

Neither of which are true to the best of my knowledge.

Linus Sebastian said:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean, seems badly phrased.

It sounds like you're saying that either

-youtube won't let you post 4K videos

or

-youtube only lets you post 4k videos

Neither of which are true to the best of my knowledge.

It is that Youtube lets us upload 4K and such but that it won't be available to view in that resolution anymore for a big percentage of the Youtube channels due to unknown reasons ( maybe bandwith savings or anything ).

It is that Youtube lets us upload 4K and such but that it won't be available to view in that resolution anymore for a big percentage of the Youtube channels due to unknown reasons ( maybe bandwith savings or anything ).

I don't know that that's true.

I uploaded a 4K render, of a 3d model on youtube, and then viewed it from a different channel at a friends house shortly after.

Took it down because I didn't want it on my channel but it worked for two different channels at least so........

Linus Sebastian said:

I did,and even if that were the issue,I already said I tried it on Chrome Canary, which has a different directory, so it wouldn't have the plugins I as using.Also the problem was solved a few posts ago, as said above moments after posting this thread I realized that HTML 5 was being forced on chrome for some reason despite my not being in the trial, So I removed ffmpegsumo.dll from the chrome directory which forced chrome to use flash,solving the issue.@Jogostar also mentioned an easy fix my using the force flash player option on the Magic Actions plugin for chrome, which also has many other useful features.

Yeah, I took a while to write up my post and so, knowing how quick people can respond on here, by the time I hit the "Post" button the problem was already solved. Anyway, I'm glad you managed to get help to solve your problem. I know how annoying certain things can be sometimes and so it's good that you were able to fix it. I don't know why Google likes to force HTML 5 on you. It's happen to me as well and I just used Magic Actions to fix the issue since I already have it installed and use many of the plugins other features as well.

I don't know that that's true.

I uploaded a 4K render, of a 3d model on youtube, and then viewed it from a different channel at a friends house shortly after.

Took it down because I didn't want it on my channel but it worked for two different channels at least so........

But was the 2160p option available?

But was the 2160p option available?

Yes.

Should have been more specific, we viewed it at the native 4K resolution using the 2160p option.

Linus Sebastian said:

@Geekazoid @Jogostar

The speed booster option looks interesting and people claim it buffers videos faster, but it doesn't seem to do much for me.

Do you use it?

Does it affect your buffering speed?

Also an unrelated question, but when you watch 4K video what does the resource usage look like on your computer?

FCV46Ti.png

Would prefer the same video used to check.

for my 4.4ghz i5 2500K and GTX 480 it uses 30-60% of the CPU, average of all cores, and 50-60% of the gpu.

EDIT:Also just noticed but when using the Magic Actions plugin it does not disable HTML 5 on embedded videos, deleting the file mentioned above however fores flash player in all scenarios, will edit the solved post to reflect this.

Linus Sebastian said:

@Geekazoid @Jogostar

The speed booster option looks interesting and people claim it buffers videos faster, but it doesn't seem to do much for me.

Do you use it?

Does it affect your buffering speed?

Yes I use it, but no it doesn't really speed up my buffering.

40%-50% on CPU and 25%-30% on GPU.

i5 3570k@4Ghz and GTX 770.                               

Yes I use it, but no it doesn't really speed up my buffering.

and what about the resource usage for 4K?

Linus Sebastian said:

and what about the resource usage for 4K?

added it.

added it.

That's interesting to know. CPU usage is the same, GPU usage much lower.

nice to know that the increased speed of the gpu translates to significant performance gains in all areas not just the more often advertised ones (gaming).

Linus Sebastian said: