Ryzen 5 5500, no post

Axeline89

So I just bought a Ryzen 5 5500 as a upgrade for my aging 2200g. I updated bios to newest version for a gigabyte b450 Aorus Pro Wifi which claims supports this chip however when the PC boots it gives me the American Micro trends splash screen but with no info period. I've already tried replacing the CPU with a second one and when I put the old 2200g in the PC boots fine. Been trying for a few days to get this to work but am at a loss.

PC build is as follows:

Gigabyte b450 Aorus Pro Wifi

Team group TForce 16GB kit 3200 mhz

EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0

EVGA 650w Gold PSU

WD Blue 500 GB NVMe drive

My money would be on BIOS update or just plain incompatibility. BIOS would have to be updated with your 2200g in place, and no guarantees. I'm not sure any less than a B550 will run a 5000-series, Zen3 or not. B450 MIGHT, and I mean MIGHT. But I wouldn't bet on it.

If a new board is necessary, I recommend the Asus TUF B550-PLUS or TUF B550-PRO. Both have good VRM cooling for more powerful processors, and the PRO has a header for front panel USB 3.2.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

Are you able to boot with less ram?

1 minute ago, An0maly_76 said:

BIOS would have to be updated with your 2200g in place, and no guarantees

Did you read OP's post? The webpage provides info for official support of Ryzen 5000 series processors and OP decided to validate the version required to run this CPU.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I did. And the info I'm looking at indicates this board requires ver F62 for this CPU. OP has not mentioned which specific BIOS version is currently installed, only that it is supposedly the newest one (verifiable / unverifiable?). So either the board is bad, the BIOS is corrupt, or OP got two bad CPUs in succession, which is unlikely.

I might also add that this is not the first time I have seen this with certain series of Ryzen, especially on older boards. Just my $0.02, a B450 would be the last board I'd run a 5000-series on, Zen3 or not.

Further, MSI only told me their own BIOS update for the 5900X I wanted would fry my B450M Bazooka AFTER I'd bought said 5900X, leaving me to sit on an untested CPU for six months while I regrouped for a full build.

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

42 minutes ago, An0maly_76 said:

I did. And the info I'm looking at indicates this board requires ver F62 for this CPU. OP has not mentioned which specific BIOS version is currently installed, only that it is supposedly the newest one (verifiable / unverifiable?). So either the board is bad, the BIOS is corrupt, or OP got two bad CPUs in succession, which is unlikely.

I might also add that this is not the first time I have seen this with certain series of Ryzen, especially on older boards. Just my $0.02, a B450 would be the last board I'd run a 5000-series on, Zen3 or not.

Further, MSI only told me their own BIOS update for the 5900X I wanted would fry my B450M Bazooka AFTER I'd bought said 5900X, leaving me to sit on an untested CPU for six months while I regrouped for a full build.

I have applied the newest F63b bios on the website as F62 didn't work either. I've also just tried removing a stick of RAM and tried a whole other kit I had on hand as well and still no dice. I'm guessing it would be the motherboard as I decided to try the spare chip I hadn't sent back yet on my wife's X470 board and it works just fine. Though to be fair I don't think this Aorus Pro Wifi compares to my wife's ASUS X470 pro. Looks like I'll just have to find a replacement board next week when I get paid. I appreciate the help.

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

My money would be on BIOS update or just plain incompatibility. BIOS would have to be updated with your 2200g in place, and no guarantees. I'm not sure any less than a B550 will run a 5000-series, Zen3 or not. B450 MIGHT, and I mean MIGHT. But I wouldn't bet on it.

If a new board is necessary, I recommend the Asus TUF B550-PLUS or TUF B550-PRO. Both have good VRM cooling for more powerful processors, and the PRO has a header for front panel USB 3.2.

B450 can run ryzen 5000

Just now, Blackfire108 said:

B450 can run ryzen 5000

From what MSI told me, that depends on how old the board is. Had to sit on an untested processor for six months because of their back-and-forth. Hence my 5900X resides in an Asus B550M-PLUS, built Jan 2022.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

So I'm hoping there is a chance you found a solution to your issue. I'm trying to update from a 1500x to a 5500 on a gigabyte ab350m gaming 3 mobo and having massive issues. I did the first bios update to f31 like it says I need to. Then I used the ec fw update tool. Then I flashed to f40 then 41 then 50 then 51f. I cannot for the life of me get this to work and I have no idea why. Gigabyte specifically lists 5500 support on this mobo from f51 bios version. It sounds like you covered your bases but I'm hoping you might have found something aside from needing a new mobo. This was supposed to be a cheap small update for me and a new mobo isnt an option.