My first bot….

LAVNERRX138

I want to code my first bot to take photos from my phones camera roll, and upload them to iNaturalist  and identify them. Is there a way to do this through like linking my phone to my computer with a cable? Is this even possible? (Also I’m not sure this is the right thread to post this in, sorry if it isn’t)

It looks like they have an API, so uploading images in an automated fashion should be possible: https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/docs/

Though, I'm not sure how you'd automate the download of photos from your phone, since I assume you wouldn't just want to upload all of them, just specific ones (i.e. you probably don't want to accidentally upload pictures containing yourself or other people).

Though… are you familiar with any programming or scripting languages at all? I'd probably start with a simple shell script that uploads images from a specific folder on your PC, then just manually place any images you want to upload there before running the script. But just to be sure… does the mobile app they have not cover this use case already?

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, Eigenvektor said:

It looks like they have an API, so uploading images in an automated fashion should be possible: https://api.inaturalist.org/v1/docs/

Though, I'm not sure how you'd automate the download of photos from your phone, since I assume you wouldn't just want to upload all of them, just specific ones (i.e. you probably don't want to accidentally upload pictures containing yourself or other people).

Though… are you familiar with any programming or scripting languages at all? I'd probably start with a simple shell script that uploads images from a specific folder on your PC, then just manually place any images you want to upload there before running the script. But just to be sure… does the mobile app they have not cover this use case already?

No, I don’t believe so. But thanks SO much! This is REALLY helpful!