I think my Windows 10 f-ed up during an update and IDK what to do right now...

Cherry_wants

This happened around last year. I think the power got cut off my laptop while a Windows 10 update was ongoing, and now I can't boot Windows 10. I can't, for the love of god, restore boot files or whatever it is the other guides tell me to do.

Now I remembered creating a bootable Windows USB back then but it couldn't solve my issues so (I think) my only option then was to do a clean Windows 10 install. I didn't push through because I didn't wanna lose my files and everything confused me.

NOW, Is it just me or...idk, cuz I can't seem to download the Windows 10 ISO. Theres an error whenever I try and it says that there was a "problem processing my request"?

I don't know what to do I'm totally lost hahahaha can anyone shed some light. (I've attempted to just extract my hard drive and turn it into an external drive but I stripped my screws badly, this is another post all together)

AND can I possibly install Windows without losing my files? I think partitions come into play but I don't know much about it, I don't know how to do it....

I'm running an old Lenovo Y50-70 Touch. Intel i7, 16GB RAM etc idk the specifics. (immaterial but I'm currently using my laptop on a live ubuntu usb)

2 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Use the official tool. You're on the right path for the HDD. Hook up your HDD externally or internally to another computer and just pull your files off that you want. 

Oh yes, I've been trying to download it officially but this keeps on appearing:image.thumb.png.dbf9019d014785407092ad022c63d774.png

Guess I should just try to download it off a different machine.

Thanks for the validation that I'm on the right path!! I guess I'd have to dremel my way into this old laptop or something lol

3 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

You're using the MediaCreationTool.exe from here right? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Yes, from that link but somehow I can't download it right now but I'm pretty confident it'll work on a different machine. I'm currently running my laptop on an Ubuntu Live USB and using firefox, idk what's stopping me from downloading it but it might be one of those things hahaha (going a little off topic already hahaha)

Just now, Cherry_wants said:

Yes, from that link but somehow I can't download it right now but I'm pretty confident it'll work on a different machine. I'm currently running my laptop on an Ubuntu Live USB and using firefox, idk what's stopping me from downloading it but it might be one of those things hahaha (going a little off topic already hahaha)

I don't have experience with creating a bootable USB on a Linux machine but im guessing since it's a .exe file you're fudged going the traditional route. 

Looks like you will need to straight up download the standalone iso then use whatever the hell linux uses to create a bootable usb. Quick google search brings up WoeUSB

4 minutes ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I don't have experience with creating a bootable USB on a Linux machine but im guessing since it's a .exe file you're fudged going the traditional route. 

Looks like you will need to straight up download the standalone iso then use whatever the hell linux uses to create a bootable usb. Quick google search brings up WoeUSB

Oh man thanks for the link to the standalone iso! Downloading it as we speak. You're the best hahaha