Hello all, as the title suggests, I’m curious about the current state of AMD gpus on Linux regarding Davinci Resolve. Unfortunately, I’m still rocking an RX 6600; I love the card, but have heard that Nvidia GPUs are the way to go when it comes to resolve on Linux. Is there any way possible to get GPU acceleration working with an AMD GPU without using the subpar AMD-GPU-PRO drivers? Do I need to use ROCm or OpenCL? What Distros have worked the best with this kind of configuration? All in all, I’m just curious how to (if at all possible) make this work; I need Resolve for work and podcasting; I’ve already mastered gimp, Krita, and Inkscape, I just need a good video editor on Linux tbh. (I’ve also already tried using the AUR method of installing certain pro driver components to no avail on Manjaro and Endeavour)

Thanks!

Sincerely, 

- Someone trying to ditch Windows 11

6 hours ago, HexagonSun2077 said:

Hello all, as the title suggests, I’m curious about the current state of AMD gpus on Linux regarding Davinci Resolve. Unfortunately, I’m still rocking an RX 6600; I love the card, but have heard that Nvidia GPUs are the way to go when it comes to resolve on Linux. Is there any way possible to get GPU acceleration working with an AMD GPU without using the subpar AMD-GPU-PRO drivers? Do I need to use ROCm or OpenCL? What Distros have worked the best with this kind of configuration? All in all, I’m just curious how to (if at all possible) make this work; I need Resolve for work and podcasting; I’ve already mastered gimp, Krita, and Inkscape, I just need a good video editor on Linux tbh. (I’ve also already tried using the AUR method of installing certain pro driver components to no avail on Manjaro and Endeavour)

Thanks!

Sincerely, 

If you don't get any answers here, on the blackmagicdesign forum you can use the search engine with the keywords "amd, linux" or you can open a new discussion on the topic. I have attached the link of the open discussions on this topic below.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/search.php?keywords=Amd%2C+linux&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

8 hours ago, HexagonSun2077 said:

Sincerely, 

Cool, I'm in 😄

8 hours ago, HexagonSun2077 said:

Thanks!

What makes you think gpu-pro is sub par? I can't really speak for other distros but on Arch OpenCL can be installed as a module, it runs alongside the existing mesa open source driver and still uses the open source driver stack, afaik it shouldn't have any impact on your base driver at all.

As for which versions you need to install,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DaVinci_Resolve#Installation

has a nice table with all the requisites listed and a link to a script you can run which will test your system.

It seems like, as long as you have Vega or newer then you're good with mesa for OpenGL and rocm-opencl for OpenCL support (note these package names are from Arch, they will probably be called other names on other distros).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, FUIT1985 said:

If you don't get any answers here, on the blackmagicdesign forum you can use the search engine with the keywords "amd, linux" or you can open a new discussion on the topic. I have attached the link of the open discussions on this topic below.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/search.php?keywords=Amd%2C+linux&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Currently looking through the forums for a solution; thanks for sending that URL though, makes sifting through possible methods much easier!

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Cool, I'm in 😄

What makes you think gpu-pro is sub par? I can't really speak for other distros but on Arch OpenCL can be installed as a module, it runs alongside the existing mesa open source driver and still uses the open source driver stack, afaik it shouldn't have any impact on your base driver at all.

As for which versions you need to install,

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DaVinci_Resolve#Installation

has a nice table with all the requisites listed and a link to a script you can run which will test your system.

It seems like, as long as you have Vega or newer then you're good with mesa for OpenGL and rocm-opencl for OpenCL support (note these package names are from Arch, they will probably be called other names on other distros).

AMD-GPU-PRO is great for workstation use! But it's a pain to install and it's gaming performance is massively worse than the open-source driver included within the Linux Kernel; I'm currently trying a guide on a separate AMD machine to see if using a different AUR package could work... If I can't have Resolve then I'm stuck on Windonts... ugh...

17 minutes ago, HexagonSun2077 said:

AMD-GPU-PRO is great for workstation use! But it's a pain to install and it's gaming performance is massively worse than the open-source driver included within the Linux Kernel; I'm currently trying a guide on a separate AMD machine to see if using a different AUR package could work... If I can't have Resolve then I'm stuck on Windonts... ugh...

AMDGPU-PRO sits on top of the open source AMDGPU Driver and open-source mesa stack. The only implementation that performs noticeably worse from AMDGPU-PRO is AMDVLK, mostly because RADV is a non-standard implementation that the Linux community Targets, however workstation software tends to target AMDVLK. For OpenGL, it goes back and forth and either implementation is probably fine.

Since your on Arch, you can grab "opencl-amd" from the AUR, because of how it's packaged it may also be necessary to grab "amdgpu-pro-libgl" as well.

Your Vulkan implementation will remain the same staying on RADV, So your Proton/Wine+DXVK Games should run the same, though if you wanted to just grab the whole AMDGPU-PRO stack you can override VULKAN globally or on a per app basis, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Vulkan#Switching_between_AMD_drivers

From @Master Disasterpost above, if you read the Arch Wiki entry, it may also be necessary to uninstall "mesa-opencl" for Davinci Resolve to work correctly.

27 minutes ago, HexagonSun2077 said:

Currently looking through the forums for a solution; thanks for sending that URL though, makes sifting through possible methods much easier!

Actually installation of amd cards on Linux should be more user-friendly than installation of Nvidia cards, especially if you are a Linux newbie. Additionally amd includes Eyefinity functionality, while Mosaic functionality is only available for nvidia quadro. You are right about performance, Nvidia are better. But if you have yet to get started with Linux, you can safely use amd for now and you can wait for the release of the next generation of nvidia cards.