Pseudo crashing laptop with egpu

Since last year I've been running a framework laptop with a 2080 ti in a razer core X egpu, it's been fiddly with its fair share of issues in the past, but I had gotten it to what I thought was functional until I moved last week. Since then I have not gotten it stable and over 90% of the time it will crash within a minute or two of starting up, but rather than a full crash both monitors will go black except for the taskbar and it will be unresponsive yet I will still be able to move my cursor around, requiring a restart. When it does this both fans on the card ramp to 100% speed and the led logo goes dark. Intuition tells me this means there's a display issue, but I can't figure out anything that's changed after the move. I've checked all the connections, reseated the card multiple times, downloaded latest drivers for both laptop and card, and tried a different port on the laptop, nothing seems to fix the issue. I need help!

The only possible lead I've got at the moment is that when I've been able to put load on the card, memory temperatures stay pegged at 109C which seems hot, but I don't know how to bring those down, and asking if it's a problem has received mixed answers.

40 minutes ago, Kurzzi said:

Since last year I've been running a framework laptop with a 2080 ti in a razer core X egpu, it's been fiddly with its fair share of issues in the past, but I had gotten it to what I thought was functional until I moved last week. Since then I have not gotten it stable and over 90% of the time it will crash within a minute or two of starting up, but rather than a full crash both monitors will go black except for the taskbar and it will be unresponsive yet I will still be able to move my cursor around, requiring a restart. When it does this both fans on the card ramp to 100% speed and the led logo goes dark. Intuition tells me this means there's a display issue, but I can't figure out anything that's changed after the move. I've checked all the connections, reseated the card multiple times, downloaded latest drivers for both laptop and card, and tried a different port on the laptop, nothing seems to fix the issue. I need help!

The only possible lead I've got at the moment is that when I've been able to put load on the card, memory temperatures stay pegged at 109C which seems hot, but I don't know how to bring those down, and asking if it's a problem has received mixed answers.

Maybe try ddu of the driver for a clean start of you haven't already. Those memory temps are too high. May or May not be the problem but you would need to replace the thermal pads to see if that helps.

Are you using the same short thunderbolt cable? Sometimes those cables can be a problem.

Might also want to look through event viewer after it happens to see if there is any errors there.